Multiple module synthetyzer system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I've always wanted to have a rack of modular synths, but here in my country is really hard to import things that expensive (the taxes are too high).
So, as an alternative I started working with Teensy, and thinking on building all the ones that I want by myself. I've recently finished the first one, which is a simplified version of the 4MS Ensemble Oscillator, and it sounds really good.

The next step will be to make a clock and a sqeuencer (with another teensy board), with outputs to trigger the oscillator i built, and a drum machine in the future.

I'm not sure yet how I will make the communication between the modules. I know I want to use patch cords (3.5mm) and mono input jacks. I guess I will add one more multiplexer and an analog pin if its a voltage signal, or the audio input of the audio shield if its a sound signal.

I found the PolyMod project, which is a modular synth with a Teensy (https://www.pjrc.com/polymod-polyphonic-digital-modular-synth), I looked into his GitHub and I think he "programmed" the patch connections to be made dinamically between the objects, and they don't actually send information. I want to do something like that, but with separate teensys (one for each module), and with real voltage traveling through the cords.

I just wanted to know if anybody tried doing something like this, and if you think in any problems I can encounter. I'm a software developer, but just starting with electronics.

Thank you for reading :)

Thats what i want to do! I feel better now that I know it can be done. Congratulations on your project, it looks and sounds amazing!

I don't want mine to be compatible with Eurorack, it will be all teensy.

Im trying now to connect the analog outputs of one teensy to a digital pin in another one, reading the PWM length, and I think its pretty accurate. Why did you prefer the Serial pins?

Im working on the sequencer now, when i have it working I will upload a video with it trigering the drum machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back