Teensy 4.0, OctoWS2811, WS2812B's: code generator for LED mapping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitj11

Hello all, I'm new to the Teensy environment and I can code, but I'm not all that great at it.

So, I've built a 52w by 30h (1560 total LEDS) LED board using WS2812B strips (external power supply), the Teensy 4.0, and the OctoWS2811 adapter. I'm trying to stick with the OctoWS2811 library since I'm finding that FastLED doesn't play nice with Teensy 4.0.

I'm also hoping to use some sort of LED matrix mapper to push things onto my grid so I don't have to rely on my mediocre coding skills. I've researched a few (MadMapper, GeoPix, Jinx); I haven't gotten any of them to work just yet, but I'm not sure I even want to for the simple reason that I don't want to have my LED display passing images from my PC--meaning I don't want it to rely on my PC being on and connected to the Teensy. I'd rather load self-contained code onto the Teensy and let it run on it's own without the PC. I also just don't *need* all of the features that a true LED mapper provides me, as I'm not using this display for stage-lighting. It's just a simple wall-mounted LED board to provide some pleasant ambience to my newborn.

To that end, can anyone point me in the direction of something akin to an LED mapper, but one that will generate the code that I can then just load onto the Teensy? I know Teensy 4.0 supports CircuitPython, so maybe going down that path? I'm just not sure if there's anything out there that can provide some sort of GUI for drawing very basic images/patterns/whatever that oscillate/move/whatever, and then generating the code for use on the Teensy? Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks for any help.

I was doing something similar, though not specifically with that hardware. You could convert your required image to an array (here, for example (untested): https://lvgl.io/tools/imageconverter) which gives you each pixel as RGB values, and you can then copy into your code.

From there, you could run through the array and set each pixel of your LED board manually based on the value. This would probably be quite slow relatively because you are doing one send operation per pixel, but it would work, and it doesn't sound like you need anything too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back