arduino-ide 2.0 beta

fishercat

I haven't seen any comments about the arduino-ide 2.0 beta on here. I thought I would give everyone a look. The main page of the IDE is a lot cleaner. Some features seem to be borrowed from Visual Studio and PlatformIO. The Boards and Libraries managers are slide-out columns along the left side. They both have a search box. This is a huge plus if you have tons of libraries installed and can only remember part of the name.

arduino 2.0 a.jpg

The Output and Serial Monitor screens are combined at the bottom and can be hidden completely. The Settings menu has much many more functions and choices.

One of the most pleasant enhancements is that the Ports selection has been moved up, right under the Boards entry. The front end is written in HTML, there are Developer Tools available under the Help tab. It seems like you can customize to your heart's content.

arduino tools.jpg

Much of the rest isn't changed too much. I'm sure there are some handy tweaks for all to find.

The IDE 2.0 is rather nice, feel fast and easy to work with, but there are quite a bit of raw edges.

The port selection is forgotten when USB serial is down for reload/reboot, easy to reselect but suddenly the smooth feel is much less smooth, saving a project under a new name drops all settings like board and variant selection.

I tested to use it with STM32 boards with board package installed using the "old" board manager in "standard" Arduino IDE, it worked quite well, had to add the Additional borads manager URL to preferences. Any local changes adding extra board variants are not seen by the new IDE. Debugging is actually useable, even on boards not officially supporting debug according to the IDE, like the STM32 boards with integrated ST-Link. I will test using a JLink adapter soon.

Yes, for sure this will take a while.
And when it's ready, most people will complain that the debug option - a prominent icon - does not work.

Back