Teensy 4.1: Soldering PSRAM Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

panaxao

Hi,

I am new to teensy. Do you know how I can solder the additional memory chip to teensy 4.1? Is there any tutorial or a youtube video? I cannot find anything.

I appreciate any help.

There are many tutorials on surface mount soldering on the net - there are several techniques depending
on what equipment you have. Common to all is a requirement for flux - using just rosin-cored solder is
possible, but having more flux will increase chances of success. Common mistake is using too much
solder - use as little as possible. Practice will help, which means having some spare cheap components and
pcb.

Use SMT and surface mount in your search string, you'll find many videos.

There is a company that offers a 'fully loaded' Teensy 4.1 with the 8MB PSRAM chip and a 16MB flash memory soldered on to the board and pins soldered in if you would prefer not to do the SMT soldering.

Take it slow. Be careful of the bits of the Teensy 4.1 that are on the bottom of the PCB.

I had posted a query about how to verify that I soldered everything correctly in this thread:

It might be useful to practice with other surface mount soldering first before going to the Teensy. For example, if you buy extra flash memory chips, and a SOIC to DIP PCB, you can practice before diving into the Teensy.

I know about protosupplies offer but I wanted a European supplier. I didn't find a similar offer and I bought it apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back