fan for Teensy 4.1 suggesting

RichardFerraro

Hello,

I recently watched where he posts data (some from Paul) on temperature of Teensy 4 when running up to 1 Ghz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydzs7I-wiog

Cooling is required at the higher speeds. I have gotten some 12mm heatsinks, yet his graphs indicated that, at that speed,
a fan is also highly desireable.

Anyone have any solutions to fan cooling the 4 ?

thanks,

RIchard

Any decent air movement seems to beat a heat sink alone - with or without a heat sink as it cools the whole of the board pulling away heat, where the heat sink does does great until it hits max temp with a bit of adding cooling surface.

Amazon had a pack of rPi 12mm'ish copper blocks that helped and fit well with adhesive tape. Paul's images showed a thin larger finned version he tested with.

Never got a Teensy sized fitted fan - for testing here a 'case' fan under my monitor stand and also tried a desk LED light with a fan and they did the job.

Not sure how it will be mounted or encased - but cooler air moving over/though more of the parts will add then as heat sink.

Overclocking can be fun. But do remember all the usual caveats apply, including the possibility of reduced lifespan. Even if you keep the temperature low, it's still running at a higher than recommended CPU voltage to achieve that speed.

Indeed overclocking is the only way a Teensy has gone dead here. Wasn't going to repeat the story in prior post, but ...After testing with a heat sink on a unit ... I plugged in a new Teensy 4.0 {just painstakingly soldered on a breakout) and while seeing it 'hang' thinking it wat the i2c SSD1306 display code - it was in fact that the IDE was still set to 900+ MHz and the new Teensy 4.0 didn't last long.

Back