Using antenna with gps module and Teensy 4.1

guzu

Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding this GPS module (also see images for the actual module I have) connected to a Teensy 4.1.

The PCB mounted antenna on the bottom is quite weak and I want to use an active antenna I have purchased that connects to the module with a SMA connector. (I know that the quality of these items is not the best :) ) Can I just connect the SMA antenna to the module and it will work? Or do I have to disable somehow the PCB mounted antenna for the module to use the SMA antenna?

Sorry if I shouldn't have posted this here. I know it is not a very Teensy specific question. But maybe it will help others that have the same question.

Thank you very much.
2.jpg 1.jpg

It works perfectly, much better than with the built-in antenna. The external antenna is complementary, nothing has to be removed.

PD: by the way, the Neo7s are much better, a pair of Neo8s have defects on their PCB and are not working

Last edited:
It works perfectly, much better than with the built-in antenna. The external antenna is complementary, nothing has to be removed.

PD: by the way, the Neo7s are much better, a pair of Neo8s have defects on their PCB and are not working

Thank you very much for the info.

This module seems to be working. I managed to power it last night and it got a lock on a few satellites from inside my apartment. Still, could you give me a link to a Neo7 module that works better?

The Neo7 that has worked very well is similar to the Neo8 you have:
GPS NEO-7M

A version of the Neo6 that also works is this:
Neo6 (GT-U7)

Since the SMA connector is fragile, these spare parts can be used:
SMA to female IPEX

The antenna with SMA connector that I am using is this:
SMA antenna

Maybe you already know it but those modules are most likely Chinese clones and not original Ublox Gps modules. They may work but like most of the fake modules they have no flash memory and you can't update the firmware or download the satellite constellation for use with AssistNow GNSS Offline.

How to identify genuine modules

Back