Can't connect customized Teensy4.1 board with PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenDev

Hello, there
I have designed and assembled customized PCB board of Teensy4.1.
Currently, I am testing with it, but the board is not connected with PC at all.
I checked device manager of PC, but there is no any changes when I plug the USB cable.
All peripherals are normal : assembly, oscillator, DCDC_LP is 1.2V, USB Cable is normal.
When I press PROGRAM MODE BUTTON 13~17s, the LED of bootloader is bright.
But, the custom board is not connected with PC at all.
If anyone have experience in this, please help me.
Thank you

Hello, there
I have designed and assembled customized PCB board of Teensy4.1.
Currently, I am testing with it, but the board is not connected with PC at all.
I checked device manager of PC, but there is no any changes when I plug the USB cable.
All peripherals are normal : assembly, oscillator, DCDC_LP is 1.2V, USB Cable is normal.
When I press PROGRAM MODE BUTTON 13~17s, the LED of bootloader is bright.
But, the custom board is not connected with PC at all.
If anyone have experience in this, please help me.
Thank you

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to chime in. The OP is my developer and working on a project of mine. The 1st prototype we completed with Teensy3.6 and were successful with connecting the Main PCB Board for our project with the computer, and using the bootloader to upload updated firmware versions to the PCB Board.

Due to the large amounts of data we were dealing with, it became clear that it would be best to move up to Teensy4.1. I only share this to point out that my developer has dealt with these issues before and has successfully accomplished them, but for some reason, we are having problems with Teensy4.1.

Also, I bought 10 of the Bootloader chips and he is having issues with them as well. I believe he is using the bootloader chip from the developer kit that we had initially purchased.

@PaulStoffregen if there is any way you can assists us, it would be great.

Thank you so much.

Siniarch (Luis)

if there is any way you can assists us, it would be great.

I want to help. But with so little info, not sure what I can do.

The new T4 bootloader is supposed to blink the red LED when things go wrong. Details are at the end of the T4 booloader chip page.

If you get no error blinking, maybe try soldering another PCB with only the bootloader chip but no IMXRT processor. Then power the 3.3V line (you may need to solder a wire to the LDO enable pin to get 3.3V power) and check if the bootloader chip gives an error blink. When there is no IMXRT chip at all, it should give the 2 blink "NXP JTAG Not Responding" pattern.

The new T4 bootloader is supposed to blink the red LED when things go wrong. Details are at the end of the T4 booloader chip page.

If you get no error blinking, maybe try soldering another PCB with only the bootloader chip but no IMXRT processor. Then power the 3.3V line (you may need to solder a wire to the LDO enable pin to get 3.3V power) and check if the bootloader chip gives an error blink. When there is no IMXRT chip at all, it should give the 2 blink "NXP JTAG Not Responding" pattern.

Thank you very much. I'll speak with my developer and get you a more detail description of the issues. If I knew more about this magical world of Electronics you guys dabble on, I'm sure I could describe it for you, but I'd be the guy trying to pull a coin out of the back of your ear while you are turning humans into goats or something. hahahah.

I'll either get him to describe it better or I'll get a better understanding so I can write the issue.

Hi Paul,
So I think my developer was able to find the reason for not connecting to Teensy4.1 before. Again, I'm out of my element when it comes to these things, but if I understood it correctly, the boot sequence was different from Teensy 3.6 to Teensy 4.1 and the PCB Board design didn't account for this change. So he designed a new PCB Board and printed it. Now it is booting and he is able to load firmware.

We are however getting 8 blinking lights when we boot up. But unsure why we would get a Unknown IMXRT Chip message. I believe he checked if we are connected to the MKL02 PTB5 and that it's not shorted to GND. But I'll let him explain it here to more detail.

I also wanted to share the project now that our website is Live and I can share it with you:
www.sinicon.io

Let me know what you think of the project? Your Teensy4.1 is very powerful and we are lucky to have it control our project. :)

I'll let my developer ask questions after this post. thank you again.

Hello Paul,
The problem that appeared before was solved by aligning the power up sequence with teensy4.1 while designing a new pcb board.
Currently it is possible to download firmware on this board and it works as the firmware.
However, the LED light of the bootloader device blinks 8 times.
I checked that the AD_B0_08 pin of the IMXRT device is correctly connected to the PTB5 pin of the MKL02 chip, and it is not shorted to GND
I would be grateful if you let us know about the possible causes of this issue.
Best regards.
SenDev.

I would be grateful if you let us know about the possible causes of this issue.

I also want to know why it would do this, because it should not normally blink 8 times if you have used the IMXRT1062 chip.

But I can not see your PCB. I know nothing of its design details. Even if I had the design files, I still may not be able to learn the true cause without having the PCB physically here on my workbench.

I hope you can understand that I can not even begin to guess the cause of this 8 blink condition (other than the info on the web page) when I can not even see the PCB design.

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I'd be happy to send you the PCB Design if you would be so kind to take a look. Let me know if this is ok for you?
If so, let me know where to send it and in what format.
Thank you again.

Ok. so a new development.
The 8 blink error is coming up when we use the boot loader chip we bought independently from the website. I bought 10 and had them shipped to my developer. I believe the model is this: MKL02Z32_T4_QFN16
My developer took out the bootloader chip and replaced it with the bootloader from the Teensy4.1 Dev Kit board and then the 8 blink error went away.

Could there be a reason why this happened?

Yes these chips use a different firmware - for the normal 4.0/4.1 the blink codes are just not needed :)

No I said the other chip just does not blink. The blink codes are not needed for boards sold by PJRC, because they are all tested.

The blink still indicates a problem that should be fixed, and you should send Paul the information he needs, so that he can help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back