(All Teensy) or (Teensy and Raspberry Pi)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

I just received my first Teensy 4.1 and I'm looking forward to using it. I started a project using a Raspberry Pi 3B to control 5 stepper motors and 3 servos. I soon discovered that the Rspi was not ideal for controlling steppers or servos, at least not without stacking a bunch of hats on it. I can't get the the required speed out of the steppers with Rspi using just GPIO driving DRV8825 motor drivers. To be fair, I was warned about this on Reddit before I started. It's basically a 'pick and place' robot with a couple of index tables. I'm now planning to offload all the motor control functions to the Teensy, using the AccelStepper library. I also want to add a small status screen and some sort of vision system along with a few LEDs, pushbuttons, and 'home switches' for each stepper.

My question is; is there any reason not to do the entire project with the Teensy 4.1? Would it be easier to let the Raspberry Pi do the vision processing and display driving or should I do the entire project with the Teensy and not have to worry about communication between the two?

Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks

Rocky

Note that on the faster Teensy's the AccelStepper generates pulses that are too short, unless you call setMinPulseWidth(10) or so.

You probably need to firm up your notion of "some sort of vision system" - this tends to suggest OpenCV on RPi is needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back