How to add a teensy 4.1 reset button?

zapta

Any suggestion on how to add an external reset button that will always reset the Teensy 4.1 (e.g. even if I pressed the programming button, or if my firmware is faulty).

I couldn't find any T4.1 reset button or pin and the reset input of the MCU (FOR_B) seems to be connected to the license chip.

It seems to be a basic functionality but I couldn't figure out how to do that.

EDIT: can the on/off pin be used to hard reset the Teensy 4.1?

Alas, no, there is no reset pin available on the Teensy 4.0 or 4.1. It is possible to do a software reset, but that won't help in the case of a firmware fault.

Thanks @blackketter. The best I found so far is a pad at the bottom of the T4.1 that is connected to pin 4 (EN) of the TLV75733P and the PMIC_ON_REQ pin of the MCU. Shorting it to ground with a button (I am using a series 2K resistor, just in case), seems to hard reset the Teensy by temporarily disabling the 3.3V supply.

I wish that that pad would have a hole so I can easily connect it to the main board that carries the T4.1.

Screenshot 2021-03-26 200304.png

Last edited:
you can use a watchdog to reset on faults and also you can reset the teensy as well with watchdog.reset()

Thanks @tonton81. Can I use the watchdog timer and an external reset button to reset the T4.1 when in Program mode?

Program mode? you mean reflashing teensy? You can always use an external pin to "feed" the watchdog, or even trigger the reset() call

If you connect a nc switch between VIN and VUSB with the external voltage pad cut (the pads in your schematic cutout at the top left)
You would get a complete power cycle reset.

If you connect a nc switch between VIN and VUSB with the external voltage pad cut (the pads in your schematic cutout at the top left)
You would get a complete power cycle reset.

Thanks manicksan. Looking at Digikey for NC tactile switches, they are limited to 100ma. Do you know of a small one that can be mounted on a PCB and carry the full current? (I also use the 3.3V output to power stuff on the main board).

Program mode? you mean reflashing teensy? You can always use an external pin to "feed" the watchdog, or even trigger the reset() call

Can you explain with more details how to do that? My understanding is that when in reflashing mode (that is, after pressing the T4.1 onboard button), none of my code is actually active.

Thanks manicksan. Looking at Digikey for NC tactile switches, they are limited to 100ma. Do you know of a small one that can be mounted on a PCB and carry the full current? (I also use the 3.3V output to power stuff on the main board).

Might be better off using a FET and a NO tact switch. It would probably be cheaper too.

The simplest is a USB cable from which you carefully remove the insulation, cut the 5 volts and insert an opening switch. If you put a 2-pin jumper in there, you can use that at the same time to measure the required current. Additionally, this does not change anything about the teensy, and you can use it for any project.

Back