Pi Zero from Teensy Power on USB MIDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgileBright

I have a Teensy 3.6 running off USB MIDI power. Works great. I want to add a PI Zero W to give me full Linux and talk serial port to the Teensy. I’d like to power both from USB.

Question: is power out from Teensy >3.5 adequate for Pi Zero W? Looks like measured power for Zero W is around 120-170 mA with just WiFi. Teensy power out is 250mA. Any issues with using that output for a Pi Zero?

I'm not a Raspberry Pi expert, but my understanding is their boards need 5V power and they create their own 3.3V. That's also how Teensy normally works.

The 250 mA output is for Teensy's 3.3V regulator. That ought to be irrelevant if you're powering the Pi Zero from 5V.

In other words, you'll probably have a 5V power source which is powering both boards. So the real question is (probably) whether than 5V source is capable of running both.

Well that was a dumb question. I’m so used to connecting the two over 3.3 gpio pins I forgot the pi input is 5v. I use a wall wart on a full size Pi with Teensy on USB MIDI (common ground). Wanted to get rid of wall wart. Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back