Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Mimxrt1062dvj6a

Mimxrt1062dvj6a

Teensy 4.1 uses the MIMXRT1062DVJ6A chipset.

This chipset operates in the 0-95C temperature range. If I were to change the chipset to a MIMXRT1062CVJ5A or a MIMXRT1062CVL5A (-40C to 100C) and use the schematic provided in https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/schematic.html will the resulting PCB continue to mimic Teensy4.1 operation.

If it works, it can be called the Siberian Teensy mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    If it works, it can be called the Siberian Teensy mod.
    Serious Responses ONLY.

Quote Originally Posted by Udayan.Mallik View Post
    will the resulting PCB continue to mimic Teensy4.1 operation.
    No, it will not work.

Any MKL02 chip you buy from distributors will come blank, which obviously will not work. Even if you desolder a MKL02 chip from a Teensy 4.1 and try to reuse it, your board still will not work because the MKL02 chip depends on having the IMXRT chip's fuses pre-configured in a certain way. Likewise, if you desolder the IMXRT chip from a Teensy 4.1 and replace it with the extended temperature version, the MKL02 won't be able to use it because it won't be configured properly.

Eventually PJRC will sell pre-programmed MKL02 chips. When those become available, this type of board design might be able to work. But they're not available yet. This is the thread to follow (but still, they aren't available and no specific time frame has been promised).

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/57132...For-Teensy-4-0

Now that the MKL02 has compatibility with the IMXRT chips, would the MIMXRT1062CVJ5B or the MIMXRT1062CVL5B have the highest likelihood of working with the MKL02 designed for the MIMXRT1062DVJ6A/B that Teensy 4.1 uses?

Neither of those chips have been tested. I can't say whether they work or not. Best I can do is guess.

My guess is they are both equally likely to work. I can confirm when the bootloader takes control, it uses 396 MHz clock speed, so it's still well below the lower rated speed on those wide temperature range parts.

How likely is likely, I can't really say. This is guesswork, afterall. But my best guess is they're probably all the exact same silicon chip. Maybe NXP tests them differently? Maybe they bin the parts based on test results? Or maybe they really do make physically different silicon for the wide temperature, but I believe that's unlikely, especially given the fact they only speed to differ by much more conservative ratings.

If you build a prototype with either chip, please share the results.

Will do, thanks!

Not exactly the place to post this, but how are global supplies of the MIMXRT1062? i.e. what would happen if we ordered 1000 Teensy 4.0's per month for the next 10 months? And, we are considering the 4.1 for a next generation product. Sheesh, Paul, you made it too easy to bring serious horsepower to new product development with these great products!

Not Paul, so I can't speak for PJRC, but the IMXRT seems to be on a 26 week lead from most distributors. Frankly, I'm just happy that it's not 52 weeks given the state of the industry right now. NXP has samples in stock, so I'm hoping to get those relatively quickly for prototyping before putting in a big order for a fall delivery.

PJRC does an admirable job with their stock of assembled Teensys and have ridden out these waves in the past. It looks like Teensy 4.0 is currently in stock, and although Teensy 4.1 is currently out of stock from PJRC, distributors currently have plenty.