MicroMod Beta Testing

Morning all again
In post #823 @defragster provided a slightly updated Example2 sketch along with the sequence of commands to duplicate the issue. So this morning I loaded up the sketch and issued the following commands:
When this behavior happened startup commands were : f, F, F, t, V { where the 't' give runtime/temp info as shown } - there was no Serial5 pin crossing, thus "S5#=0".

After about 3.3 hours (201minutes) of continuous up time the PJRC.BB restarted by itself. Up until then
> the SSD1306 was drawing smoothly with no issues
> 'V' was displaying nicely on the ILI9341 with no apparent flakiness with screen colors as Tim showed.
> Can not tell if restart was due to a hard fault by typically this is the case when it restarts by itself
> Temp shown was steady at 53-54C

On restart:
> HM01B0 was detected and configured for 8Bit mode
> Following the same command sequence the video displayed correctly and the boxes were being drawn smoothly.,
> After the a minute of up time the BB restarted again.
> Shut it down again to see what happens after a few minutes of off time.

EDIT: One note. I do have a SD card in the adapter and Serial5 not jumper

UPDATE:
Let PJRC.BB sit with power off for several minutes and restarted sketch.
> Repeat startup commands
> Ran test for little over 1 hour with no issues
>> SSD1306 cycled through displaying boxes smoothly
>> Video smooth and no adverse signs. Display quality good and not wanky colors displayed as Tim saw

Used power on/off button to stop PJCR.BB.
>> Display's stopped in their last display output - should have expected this :)
>> Sermon stopped updating

Turning power back on booted back to setup and command options:
Code:
Custom - Flexio is 8 bit mode
8Bit FlexIO
HM01B0 Camera Test
HM01B0_FLEXIO_CUSTOM_LIKE_8_BIT
------------------
SENSOR DETECTED :-) MODEL HM01B0
OSC_CLK_DIV: 0x2A
ImageSize (w,h): 324, 244
START Fill Cache :: 3221
END Fill Cache :: 	Last is 82813	 @ 3268

C:\Users\Merli\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_modified_sketch_337112\HM01B0_example2.ino May  1 2021 06:41:51
Send the 'f' character to read a frame using FlexIO (changes hardware setup!)
Send the 'F' to start/stop continuous using FlexIO (changes hardware setup!)
Send the 'V' character DMA to TFT async continueous  ...
Send the 'p' character to snapshot to PC on USB1
Send the 'b' character to save snapshot (BMP) to SD Card
Send the '1' character to blank the display
Send the 't' character to toggle intervalTimer
Send the 'z' character to send current screen BMP to SD
> restarted test sequence timing/torture test will add results after about 1 more hour.
UPDATE:
Ran test for hour with no issues
> Boxes being drawn smoothly
> Video displaying smooth with no wanky colors etc.
> Max temp shows as 54C, same as in previous tests.
> No restarts seen in this run or the previous 1 hour runs.

Last edited:
Yep, looks different with the other camera: Looks different...
screenshot2.jpg

Interesting question to self and others with the ML board.

I am suing pins D0, D1, A0, A1 for debug pins.... (4, 5, 14, 15)
But now if you look at the Schematic:

It looks like D1 is also the Camera Trigger pin? Not sure what that does, and if impacts anything...
Also not sure what the Camera_INT pin is supposed to do? I2C_INT (Teensy pin 29) which does not have any other pin to look at it...

Interesting question to self and others with the ML board.

I am suing pins D0, D1, A0, A1 for debug pins.... (4, 5, 14, 15)
But now if you look at the Schematic:

It looks like D1 is also the Camera Trigger pin? Not sure what that does, and if impacts anything...
Also not sure what the Camera_INT pin is supposed to do? I2C_INT (Teensy pin 29) which does not have any other pin to look at it...

Ok there is a Mode3 for streaming that we haven't been using where you can stream images based on whether the trigger pin is high or low, if the trigger is high it starts streaming, if low stops streaming. The Int pin is used for motion detection which we didn't implement. If motion detection is setup then the Int pin goes high.

Good timing was just going to get some more coffee :)

Thanks, I should probably reread the PDF file... Actually I have it open now as I was wondering....

@Paul - several times when I would have the PJRC carrier board stop working, I thought I heard a pop sound.... Was/Am not sure if that was simply the Zelda sound coming out of the Headphones which I have plugged into Audio board or elsewhere..

But I also wondered if maybe the Camera which we (and Sparkfun) are running out of spec, might fault out or something?

That is their word document shows:
screenshot.jpg

On Your board we are feeding both of these Power signals with 3.3v, the ML board is feeding the VDD-A with 3.3v and VDD-IO with 1.8V.

Both show in spec Max of 3.0V...

Was wondering if it would make sense to somehow put a diode in line between the 3.3v and the camera voltage inputs... From the page: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/external_power.html
the diodes you mentioned dropped about .3v... Not sure if that is true when you start from 3.3vs or not? Or how hard it would be to hack in?

Thanks, I should probably reread the PDF file... Actually I have it open now as I was wondering....

@Paul - several times when I would have the PJRC carrier board stop working, I thought I heard a pop sound.... Was/Am not sure if that was simply the Zelda sound coming out of the Headphones which I have plugged into Audio board or elsewhere..

But I also wondered if maybe the Camera which we (and Sparkfun) are running out of spec, might fault out or something?

That is their word document shows:
View attachment 24678

On Your board we are feeding both of these Power signals with 3.3v, the ML board is feeding the VDD-A with 3.3v and VDD-IO with 1.8V.

Both show in spec Max of 3.0V...

Was wondering if it would make sense to somehow put a diode in line between the 3.3v and the camera voltage inputs... From the page: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/external_power.html
the diodes you mentioned dropped about .3v... Not sure if that is true when you start from 3.3vs or not? Or how hard it would be to hack in?

Not sure how hard it would be to hack in but maybe use the 24 pin FPC adapter board to hack in a diode to the power pins on the adapter and then use jumpers to the board?

SFun.ML w.T.MM fine overnight run and still going at 8+ hours this run - at least an hour before that:
Code:
LP#=36	Pisr#=111391  lastPR=107583781  ms=[B]28750380  [/B]ipCyc%=59.76  S5#=0  55C
LP#=34	Pisr#=111485  lastPR=107583967  ms=28751376  ipCyc%=59.19  S5#=0  54C

Mike: Without FB's PrHardFault - Fault behavior is : Slowdown clock and sit IDLE - Teensy does not Restart, but is (generally) AUTO USB reprogrammable.
Code:
void loop() {
	glpCnt++;
	if ( 23456 == glpCnt ) {
		int *pp=0;
		pp[0] = 0;
	}

Kurt: I've not heard anything Audible from the PJRC.BB on and failures here

>> After the errors seen, not sure the PJRC.BB was allowed to REST OFF as much as an hour to retest.

>> I have not swapped Camera elements, But on restart the camera is IDLE? When the SSD Box cycles starts and Halts with note repeat restarts.
-- >> Same Here: "On my setups the ML board has the original camera and the PJRC.BB has one of the new ones I picked up from Sparkfun."
-> it is Idle on SFun.ML,
-> Not sure about PJRC.BB ? It almost seems Wire Scanner.ino did detect camera on this carrier?

I have an unused 2nd SFun Himax cam - but if the 3.3V is overspec it might end up in the same state?

NOTE: PJRC.BB arrived and was powered up here First by Tim, then Mike next day (?), then some days later by Kurt. So not surprising perhaps Tim saw the failure first - also as usual I was writing test to Torment the underlying lib code - not writing new lib code.

Reprogrammed ML with HardFault code active. "f,F,F,t,V,V,V,V" and that worked in short couple second sequence. Next "V,V" took T.MM OFFLINE and no SSD , No Fault reported, and loss of USB.
> Program, to bootloader and TyComm Reset returned to normal operation
-> so when exiting "V" hangs/Offline - it is Not from a Fault.

On a slightly different/related topic. So far I have not ordered my MMOD breakout board. Still trying to decide a few things like:

USB-C/USB-B cable... Nice thing of C is it can deliver more amperage. Again assuming you have a cable that connects to USB-C port.... Or I believe you can still get up to 2 amps with USB 3 connections to PC... Could be wrong. Nice thing for USB-B is a lot less pins to solder and they are farther apart...

Camera connection - I am thinking I may drop the ribbon cable connection. Continue with the OV7670 like connections with 2x9 pins... Actually maybe expand to 2x10 to handle optional INT and Trigger pins.
This looks like that connection works with the OV7670 cameras from Amazon/Ebay, Arducam (Only uses the first 8 pins, no shutdown, and ...).

Then if I want to do more with these cameras, Maybe something either purchase something like https://usa.banggood.com/Geekcreit-...-pc&currency=USD&cur_warehouse=CN&createTmp=1

screenshot.jpg

It is interesting that it looks like it may have on it's own voltage regulator(s) and ...

Or make our own daughter board... Again the one above should work with the 2x9 or 2x10...

@KurtE
Decisions decisions decisions. Yep the 54FK is a 2.8v reg and the 65K5 is a 1.8v reg on the OV7670 breakout from amazon (non arducam one :)

On a different topic, example2, just switched to the ML carrier, changed the display to the ST7789.
> Started fine, SSD1306 displaying boxes
> hit 'f', displayed image and then the camera and SSD1306 stopped
> can still issue 'f' and 'F' but displayed images are all washed out or splitting.
> Going to let it sit for awhile and see if it works. Maybe camera is wonky on my ML. Can't find my other camera - may have thrown it out by accident while cleaning :)

Looks like for me the ML is messing up while the PJRC.BB is doing good. Maybe its the camera itself as you saw in your LA traces

@Mike - you had some issue returning to SFun.ML the last time?

Looks like TFT on ML cabled to a Ribbon I could transfer to ST7789 and see what I see - it will add 8" of wire to the 4" in place

Other than intermittent fresh start/restart errors w/DMA or something showing - the ML carrier has not shown any problems in usage long term. Not sure if/when I had ST7789 on it.

Kurt - Nice to have the pleasure to craft a custom PCB - but "Decisions decisions decisions" - then ordering/waiting/building to find if it is right ... and good. Getting extra current from USB-C sounds useful - was nice the SFun
Mike - Bummer on the missing Himax - they are so small ... created a MicroMod box here

Arggh - a laptop in my lap - thought it just needed Updates/cleanup - been here days working, not working to boot, finally had ear on it at right time and HDD seems funky - though DELL testing and S.M.A.R.T. not saying so ... pulled out HDD and I see I replaced HDD Jan 2019 ... seems like this box is baking the HDD's to death? :( - have to go mount it on another computer ...

@Mike - you had some issue returning to SFun.ML the last time?

Looks like TFT on ML cabled to a Ribbon I could transfer to ST7789 and see what I see - it will add 8" of wire to the 4" in place

Other than intermittent fresh start/restart errors w/DMA or something showing - the ML carrier has not shown any problems in usage long term. Not sure if/when I had ST7789 on it.
yes had issues getting the ILI9341 working on the ML board.

Now it seems if I try to use 8bit mode on the ML carrier either hangs the sketch or if it works 'F' or 'V' images are split or VSYNCH is off. Thats what makes me think it the camera. May have to order another one as I can't seem to find mine.

However in 4bit mode it works but the images are all saturated so shows mostly as white. Looks like not going to be testing with ML until new camera gets here.

On a different topic, example2, just switched to the ML carrier, changed the display to the ST7789.
> Started fine, SSD1306 displaying boxes
> hit 'f', displayed image and then the camera and SSD1306 stopped
> can still issue 'f' and 'F' but displayed images are all washed out or splitting.
> Going to let it sit for awhile and see if it works. Maybe camera is wonky on my ML. Can't find my other camera - may have thrown it out by accident while cleaning :)

Looks like for me the ML is messing up while the PJRC.BB is doing good. Maybe its the camera itself as you saw in your LA traces

SFun.ML Runs ST-7789 same/better than ILI9341 : SPI wires to display are 4" ribbon wires to ML - then that Ribbon to the AMZN ST7789 8" wires to the device plug.
> Better is that "F" does not FLASH halo around white space in my room! - suppose I need to confirm I have latest TFT libs.
Re-ordered wires for ST7789 ( it is 3.3V - so on PJRC.BB had VCC on RESET and other shifting )

ST7789 Doing : f,F,F,V,t in some fashion shows All is Well!
>> Same Finger wiggle tear on moving areas
>> Same stoppage with VV,VV,VV
-->> sometime before "ms=1073855" the Video on ST7789 has gone to a 'Pin Art/TOPO' image? Looks like a "TOPO map" with B&W bands surrounding the ceiling light and the bright window behind me - and similar lines on my clothing - hands and face are 'Pin Art' - i.e. fine pixels of B&W with perhaps binary not shaded blended pixels.
-->> All good on Reset "fFFVt"
-->> Has completed "ms=1608557" without that Pin/TOPO shading.

Update note on Blue LED==13 SPI SCK :: With ST7789 it seems a DIM blue, with or without 't', on ILI9341 it was reported that the BLUE LED pulsed with 't'.

As before the SFun.ML seems 100% good for long term usage.
I got a 220 Ohm network resistor and put 5 3mm LED's arrayed on it with common VCC to network base (made a second w/COMM GND). Picked colors that take under 3mA - may return to PJRC.BB and set those 5 LEDs in 'unused' pins to see if added ~12mA makes it fail sooner, and see if the PJRC.BB current draw goes up as expected. Looks like Pins #27 to #31 are arrayed and unused?

Last edited:
@Tim
Ok got the ML working again. Reseated the camera for about the 4th time and now seems to be working in both 8bit and 4bit modes. :) Yea!

For hmconfig = 2; rerunning example2 with an SD Card in the adapter.
Actually the finger wiggle test (smile) looks a bit more pronouced than on the ILI9341 but think that screen dimension vs resolution issue (on a small screen with same resolution would probably look better). Ok report back later - have a few things to do, this way I don't get impatient

Looks good, out of stock, signed up for notify...

But still makes me wonder if any of the issues we are seeing on either board have to do with not fully following the doc...

Hate to say this but I think I agree with you. Looking at not the Ov7670 and the that tindie board they all have the 2.8 and 1.8v regulators

Moved T.MM back to PJRC.BB - added 5 LEDS :: int pinLEDS[]={26,27,28,30,31}; // Had to skip #29 as it was on by default?

I had not had SD card installed lately on PJRC.BB - but did put it in. Current no change without #define SDCARD, doing that broke on a spare "}" so removed

WITH 5 LEDS from 3.3V (added ~10 mA) - and the SDCARD init the running PJRC.BB current is 0.213 A now {.209-.213} - so if a problem with Current draw it should die sooner than 9 hours?

After init power up and testing without LED pinMode and adding and repower for SDCard, reprogramming etc - it is now running fine at like:
LP#=34 Pisr#=111502 lastPR=107584013 ms=379324 ipCyc%=59.67 S5#=0 53C
>> opps - had to restart looking to see there is 'No Blue LED Flash' on BB/9341 I pulled USB cable - the reason I cut it for Current testing was the male end doesn't grab well :)
LP#=33 Pisr#=111506 lastPR=107584021 ms=235837 ipCyc%=59.43 S5#=0 53C

Mike: indeed the Finger breaks in "V" are as bad or worse, and may appear worse on the smaller screen

Mike - glad you are up and running on the ML!

Going fine on BB so far at 1100 seconds with current up measurably ...

I see this mono Himax VGA version from same vendor: tindie.com/products/uctronics/hm0360-vga-spi-camera-module-for-rpi-pico/

Quick check at:
LP#=34 Pisr#=111407 lastPR=107583793 ms=2657878 ipCyc%=59.61 S5#=0 53C
> Vid display is again the TOPO/Pin Art - Similar looking back to p#819
--> Very cool Artsy effect - but color shading/blending not right
Restarted to good at : LP#=35 Pisr#=111506 lastPR=107584021 ms=3780901 ipCyc%=59.39 S5#=0 53C
>> Under 120 seconds it is Pin Art again :(
-> 5 second unplug and restart to good, started about Noon here, room light off, Window is bright glowing whole background

The back of my hand looks like Damascus Steel: bing.com/images/search?q=Damascus+steel

Last edited:
Mike - glad you are up and running on the ML!

Going fine on BB so far at 1100 seconds with current up measurably ...

I see this mono Himax VGA version from same vendor: tindie.com/products/uctronics/hm0360-vga-spi-camera-module-for-rpi-pico/

Quick check at:
LP#=34 Pisr#=111407 lastPR=107583793 ms=2657878 ipCyc%=59.61 S5#=0 53C
> Vid display is again the TOPO/Pin Art - Similar looking back to p#819
--> Very cool Artsy effect - but color shading/blending not right
Restarted to good at : LP#=35 Pisr#=111506 lastPR=107584021 ms=3780901 ipCyc%=59.39 S5#=0 53C
>> Under 120 seconds it is Pin Art again :(
-> 5 second unplug and restart to good, started about Noon here, room light off, Window is bright glowing whole background

The back of my hand looks like Damascus Steel: bing.com/images/search?q=Damascus+steel

For me the image was a beautiful grayscale image until the reset at 3.5 hours. No issues whatsoever up until that point.

Right now on the ML Carrier up to 128 minutes without any adverse effects you mentioned.

Did you see what I mentioned to Kurt that folks on the Sparkfun forum said when one sensor wasn't working they swapped it with a new and it worked fine. Think, as Kurt said the voltages need to be within spec for it to work correctly - think maybe that is why mine and Kurt's may be working and yours not - maybe yours is more sensitive or ours are less.

Also looks like Arducam will be selling that same one... They show for preorder and then direct you to uctronics.
Yeah - noticed that as well but just gave you the direct link :)

EDIT: forgot - I went ahead and ordered one to attach to the PJRC.BB for the heck of it :)

Current PJRC.BB run from Noon looking fine since restart this long ago:
LP#=33 Pisr#=111416 lastPR=107583841 ms=2575422 ipCyc%=59.25 S5#=0 53C

Turned light on coming into room and it did not freak out the camera

5 LED's Lit (PIN GND with power from 3.3V) , SSD1306 running, SDCard active, ILI9341 running "V"
>> opps : turned DMM on to see Current 0.213 A again cycling from 0.209 A : No Trouble on restarting ... PJRC.BB still strong about 2 hours online

Will see what you guys do for next camera - and pluggable PCB - before ordering ...

Time to corral lunch.

PJRC.BB - Time to fail ~3.5 hours with a bit more current draw

PJRC.BB - Time to fail ~3.5 hours with a bit more current draw? { 5 LEDs on 3.3V ~10 mA, and Active SDcard adding some mA's as well )
>> ~3X faster than 9+ hours yesterday

This shows 75.659 minutes running from last post - so about 7 minutes ago ...
Code:
LP#=34	Pisr#=111502  lastPR=107584013  ms=4478534  ipCyc%=59.67  S5#=0  54C
LP#=35	Pisr#=111420  lastPR=107583841  ms=4479545  ipCyc%=59.23  S5#=0  53C

TFT VID frozen last image, and SSD1306 stopped :: Both screens powered- the LEDs are OFF ??????
> lame USB micro USB connector is firmly in place

DMM Current showing 0.117 A - so expect hitting On/Off will bring the T.MM back online? TyComm not seeing T.MM as MISSING - maybe the USB lines are active?
> LEDs are active with MCU OUTPUT written LOW - so MCU is not active.

T.MM has not spontaneously come out of "OFF" like before this time?

INDEED: 1/2 sec press On/Off and the T.MM awoke and cycled SSD Boxes a couple times with LEDs on - then LEDs OFF and DMM showing 0.126 A - a bit higher than last time

Pressing 'On/Off' Several times finally did something - DMM went to 0.060 A - TyComm went away ... some seconds later the T.MM back online with LEDs and running SSD Box cycle.

About 1Min in that state and LEDs OFF and SSD stopped and current ~0.126? - before I could type that the T.MM restarted to the same state ... and as I typed that it returned to 0.126A and stopped, no LEDs ... and has restarted again ... and repeat cycle again ...

Has been ready to run for 13.11 minutes and started okay without issue as of now.

Somebody should put RTC clock in this sketch ... of course if it is losing power the RTC may lose value too ... though it has vBat connector ( and the ML board has a TINY batt too )

Made mjs513/TMM-HB01B0-Camera/pull/27 for code in use with SDcard active and corrected code and to GND LEDs on one or more of: int pinLEDS[]={26,27,28,30,31};

It ran some time after last restart series : ms=1074729 == 17.9 mins, then shows it repowered 4 times spontaneously and it now sitting again at 0.123 A - so in POWER OFF mode of 1062 - two hits on On/Off and it came to life.

Turning it off now as a successful repro of failure :(

The board sat Unplugged for 30 minutes: Powered up to running. I typed 'f', then "F" and looking at the screen ... it died in seconds ... didn't get to "F",'t',"V"

Last edited:
PJRC.BB - Time to fail ~3.5 hours with a bit more current draw? { 5 LEDs on 3.3V ~10 mA, and Active SDcard adding some mA's as well )
>> ~3X faster than 9+ hours yesterday

This shows 75.659 minutes running from last post - so about 7 minutes ago ...
Code:
LP#=34	Pisr#=111502  lastPR=107584013  ms=4478534  ipCyc%=59.67  S5#=0  54C
LP#=35	Pisr#=111420  lastPR=107583841  ms=4479545  ipCyc%=59.23  S5#=0  53C

TFT VID frozen last image, and SSD1306 stopped :: Both screens powered- the LEDs are OFF ??????
> lame USB micro USB connector is firmly in place

DMM Current showing 0.117 A - so expect hitting On/Off will bring the T.MM back online? TyComm not seeing T.MM as MISSING - maybe the USB lines are active?
> LEDs are active with MCU OUTPUT written LOW - so MCU is not active.

T.MM has not spontaneously come out of "OFF" like before this time?

INDEED: 1/2 sec press On/Off and the T.MM awoke and cycled SSD Boxes a couple times with LEDs on - then LEDs OFF and DMM showing 0.126 A - a bit higher than last time

Pressing 'On/Off' Several times finally did something - DMM went to 0.060 A - TyComm went away ... some seconds later the T.MM back online with LEDs and running SSD Box cycle.

About 1Min in that state and LEDs OFF and SSD stopped and current ~0.126? - before I could type that the T.MM restarted to the same state ... and as I typed that it returned to 0.126A and stopped, no LEDs ... and has restarted again ... and repeat cycle again ...

Has been ready to run for 13.11 minutes and started okay without issue as of now.

Somebody should put RTC clock in this sketch ... of course if it is losing power the RTC may lose value too ... though it has vBat connector ( and the ML board has a TINY batt too )

Made mjs513/TMM-HB01B0-Camera/pull/27 for code in use with SDcard active and corrected code and to GND LEDs on one or more of: int pinLEDS[]={26,27,28,30,31};

It ran some time after last restart series : ms=1074729 == 17.9 mins, then shows it repowered 4 times spontaneously and it now sitting again at 0.123 A - so in POWER OFF mode of 1062 - two hits on On/Off and it came to life.

Turning it off now as a successful repro of failure :(

The board sat Unplugged for 30 minutes: Powered up to running. I typed 'f', then "F" and looking at the screen ... it died in seconds ... didn't get to "F",'t',"V"

Tim - Kurt
From my post #826 my PJRC.BB died at approximately same 3 1/2 hour mark.

Difference was after letting sit for a few minutes unpowered, then restarted, I let it run for 1 hour then did a power cycle with on/off and ran it for another 1 hour without the problems you noted. But then I also didn't have the addition of "{ 5 LEDs on 3.3V ~10 mA, and Active SDcard adding some mA's as well )".

There are 2 issues related to power on the PJRC board that I can see from what Kurt already identified in previous posts:
1. The regulator maybe/is a undersized for intended use.
and/or
2. Voltage to the camera is bit out of spec: max 3.0v but applying 3.3v identified in post #831

I already have on order from Digikey a few of the 1A regulators and will probably get next week. Then hopefully I can remove and replace the regulator on the breakout board to see if it helps. If not I also have on order one of the Uctronics HM01B0 breakout board that I can hook up to the board that has the regulators on board for Vdd-a and Vdd-io.

Back