Keyboard.press from an array

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lxsparks

Hi,

I am working on a keyboard matrix which will send either single keyboard presses (0-9 + symbols), keyboard commands and midi notes.

I started with the Adafruit Keypad library and now branched out from there.

Currently I am working on a 5 x 5 mock up board (this will be a lot bigger in the final project) and I have the code switching between sending a Keyboard.press() or a usbMIDI.sendNoteOn() based on the length of the variable returned from the array. All is good until it comes to sending keyboard commands! In the serial window I see the command printed however in PC software it doesn't work (I use Notepad++ to test in).

This is my array:

Code:
const byte ROWS = 5; // four rows
const byte COLS = 5; // eight columns

char *KEYS[ROWS][COLS] = {
  {"1", "2",  "3",  "KEY_UP",  "100"},
  {"4",  "5",  "6", "KEY_DOWN", "101"},
  {"7", "8", "9", "KEY_LEFT", "102"},
  {"10", "15", "20", "KEY_RIGHT", "103"},
  {"a", "b", "c",  "d",  "e"}
};

This is the output part of my code:

Code:
Serial.print(KEYS[colIndex][rowIndex]);
          Serial.println(": Keyboard Command - Instruction");
          Keyboard.press(KEYS[colIndex][rowIndex]);
          Keyboard.release(KEYS[colIndex][rowIndex])

In the Serial window I will get for example: KEY_UP....etc
No response with the PC generally though. I am not sure how to convert "KEYS[colIndex][rowIndex]" into a format that Keyboard.press() can execute.

I can write an IF/SWITCH statement to compare the value of the array result and hard code the Keyboard.press line for each one but that will involve a lot of code.

Any ideas?

(I haven't included the full code as I don't feel it adds anything to the issue).

Matthew

Last edited:
Hi BriComp, thank you for your response - so far the hardware works (pcbs have been designed linking back to a Teensy 4.1) and should scale upwards to the 80+ inputs that will eventually get attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back