Best way to use native ethernet to transfer files from SD card and stream video

kdharbert

I have an Arducam and I want it to constantly take pictures, save them to the SD card and have a PC connected to the Teensy ethernet port poll a file server for new pictures as they are saved. I wanted to find a way to make the Teensy work as a USB drive to accomplish the same thing, but I guess its hard. However, now that I'm adding ethernet, it seems within reach again. I'm assuming someone's done an SD card file server. Any pointers to something good?

Also, since I will now have ethernet, it seems like video streaming may be possible. The arducam has code for use with ESP8266, but nothing for native ethernet. Is there another camera option that can mate better with a teensy and utilize the ethernet port for streaming?

From watching the posts, there are various threads about adding the support for USB file system support (look for threads about MTP support, beta7 posts, etc.). Having the rewritten file system support in 1.54 beta7 will certainly help, in supporting using flash memory and SD cards as disks. I suspect what we need is something that combines all of the work in progress, and provides examples of how to set things up. I suspect adding ethernet support will make it more complicated.

And note, ethernet may/may not be faster than USB. The Teensy ethernet is rated at 100 megabits/second while USB on Teensy 4.0/4.1 is rated at 480 megabits/second. However, you would need to actually measure things, because it doesn't account for things like overhead and how likely you are to reach the maximum speed in real life situations.

Speed isn't the main concern, it's convenient live uptake. I'm just looking for something I can use to easily to pass live camera data to a PC.

To get back to the original question: Is there a good project out there that allows SD card data to be read via ethernet as a file share\webserver or other?

Back