USB Over-voltage Protection Circuit - necessary yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemmings

Hey Everyone,

I'm doing a MIDI controller project with the Teensy 4.0 soon which I plan to be selling as a product. I only want to have it be powered via USB, so I'm thinking I don't need to add any sort of power circuit modifications or over-voltage protection. However, I just thought I'd ask everyone's opinion on this. I know the newer USB-C specs allow up to 20V, but afik they require two-way communication between the devices to be established before the fast-charging or higher voltage is enabled. Are there any sort of conditions surrounding powering the Teensy over USB that could be problematic in any way?

Thanks! :cool:

That covers the power from the bus on a computer. What about charging devices? and fast charging devices? Any thoughts there?

charging devices have power profiles for usb-c, a protocol must be communicated to allow switching to higher voltages if supported by the adaptor. power is defaulted to 5v on connection and unless you send the correct data packet to enable higher voltage, it'll stay at 5v

if you want a schematic of usb-c skpang has breakout boards for T4.x canbus, they use usb-c and/or 12v car input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back