Is there a way to GPIO scan Teensy 4.0 faster than this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janbbeck

I am trying to sample a GPIO port to measure the phase difference between two signals with the highest possible resolution. All the hardware blocks that I would normally try to do this with are already tied up for other things or not routed out to pins on the Teensy 4.0.

The processor reference manual states on page 949:

Code:
•  GPIO1-5 are standard-speed GPIOs that run off the IPG_CLK_ROOT, whileGPIO6-9 are high-speed GPIOs that run at the AHB_CLK_ROOT frequency.

According to this discussion here:

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/58432-Nanosecond-Resolution-Interrupts-on-Teensy-4-0

the Teensy 4.0 defaults to fast mapping.

This is interesting because it indicates that these pins could maybe be sampled at close to the full 600+Mhz core frequency.

So I wrote some code to test this. The result is that no matter what I try the maximum sample rate I can get is somewhere between 70-80 Mhz.

Here some assembly code looping 100 measurements into an array with the tightest loop I can think of:
Code:
 uint32_t gpioData[100];
    for (int j = 0; j < 100; j++)
  {
    gpioData[j] = 5;
  }

asm volatile("ldr    r0 ,=0x42004008   \n\t"  // load address of GPIO6_PSR into r0
                   "mov    r1 ,%0            \n\t"  // copy address of array into register, index = 0
                   "mov    r2, r1            \n\t"  // copy r1 to start on end-of-loop-condition
                   "add    r2, #396          \n\t"  // end-of-loop condition. we want 100 4 byte values, so the end is at 400 - 4 = 396 bytes after the beginning of the array
                   "nextdata:                \n\t"  // create label to loop to
                   "ldr    r3 ,[r0]          \n\t"  // load value of GPIO6_PSR into r3    
                   "str    r3 ,[r1], #4      \n\t"  // store value into gpioDataArray and then add 4 bytes to the index            
                   "cmp    r1, r2            \n\t"  // check loop counter against loop limit
                   "ble    nextdata          \n\t"  // loop if limit not reached
                 :                                  // output operand list
                 : "r" (gpioData)                   // input operand list
                 : "r0", "r1", "r2","r3"//, "r4", "r5","r6", "r7", "r8", "r9", "r10", "r11", "r12"
                );
  // now write the 100 values
  {
    Serial.println(gpioData[j]);
  }

here another approach avoiding the loop altogether:
Code:
  uint32_t gpioData[100];
  // first read 100 values as fast as possible
  for (int i = 0; i < 100; i++)
  {
    gpioData[i] = 5;
  }
      asm volatile("ldr    r0 ,=0x42004008   \n\t"  // load address of GPIO6_PSR into r0
                   "mov    r1 ,%0            \n\t"  // copy address of array into register, index = 0
                   "ldr    r2 ,[r0]          \n\t"  // load value of GPIO6_PSR into r2
                   "str    r2 ,[r1], #4      \n\t"  // store value into gpioDataArray and then add 4 bytes to the index
                   "ldr    r2 ,[r0]          \n\t"  // load value of GPIO6_PSR into r1
                   "str    r2 ,[r1], #4      \n\t"  // store value into gpioDataArray and then add 4 bytes to the index
[...]
// many more to fill the array
[...][
                 : "r0", "r1", "r2"
                );
  // now write the 100 values
  {
  }

Even when avoiding that kind of memory array access delay by first filling all available registers yields the same sampling speed:

Code:
uint32_t gpioData[11];
                   "ldr    r3 ,[r0]          \n\t"  // load value of GPIO6_PSR into r3
                   "ldr    r4 ,[r0]          \n\t"  // load value of GPIO6_PSR into r4
                   "ldr    r5 ,[r0]          \n\t"  // load value of GPIO6_PSR into r5
                   "ldr    r6 ,[r0]          \n\t"  // load value of GPIO6_PSR into r6
                   "ldr    r7 ,[r0]          \n\t"  // load value of GPIO6_PSR into r7
                   "ldr    r8 ,[r0]          \n\t"  // load value of GPIO6_PSR into r8
                   "ldr    r9 ,[r0]          \n\t"  // load value of GPIO6_PSR into r9
                   "ldr    r10,[r0]          \n\t"  // load value of GPIO6_PSR into r10
                   "ldr    r11,[r0]          \n\t"  // load value of GPIO6_PSR into r11                  
                   "ldr    r12,[r0]          \n\t"  // load value of GPIO6_PSR into r12          
                   "str    r3 ,[r1], #4      \n\t"  // store value into gpioDataArray and then add 4 bytes to the index
                   "str    r4 ,[r1], #4      \n\t"  // store value into gpioDataArray and then add 4 bytes to the index
                   "str    r5 ,[r1], #4      \n\t"  // store value into gpioDataArray and then add 4 bytes to the index
                   "str    r6 ,[r1], #4      \n\t"  // store value into gpioDataArray and then add 4 bytes to the index
                   "str    r7 ,[r1], #4      \n\t"  // store value into gpioDataArray and then add 4 bytes to the index
                   "str    r8 ,[r1], #4      \n\t"  // store value into gpioDataArray and then add 4 bytes to the index
                   "str    r9 ,[r1], #4      \n\t"  // store value into gpioDataArray and then add 4 bytes to the index
                   "str    r10,[r1], #4      \n\t"  // store value into gpioDataArray and then add 4 bytes to the index
                   "str    r11,[r1], #4      \n\t"  // store value into gpioDataArray and then add 4 bytes to the index
                   "str    r12,[r1], #4      \n\t"  // store value into gpioDataArray and then add 4 bytes to the index               
                 : "r0", "r1", "r2","r3", "r4", "r5","r6", "r7", "r8", "r9", "r10", "r11", "r12"
                );
  // now write the 11 values
  for (int j = 0; j < 11; j++)
  {
  }

Am I doing something wrong? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Jan

Last edited:
> maybe be sampled at close to the full 600+Mhz

GPIO access is a slow operation, nowhere close to one access per clock.

Ok, but how fast/slow is it supposed to be? It seems that when you can choose to feed it either the IPG_CLK_ROOT(600 Mhz) or AHB_CLK_ROOT (150 Mhz), it should be able to access those faster than the IPG_CLK_ROOT, no? Otherwise what would be the point of allowing that and calling it high-speed GPIO to boot?

Thanks that you took the time to respond to my original question. It is appreciated.

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back