Teensy 3.6 Development Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOY38

Hello,

I am new to this site, I can see the 'Teensy 3.6 Development Board' and it's very interesting but do you know if I can use JTAG Debug with this card :

Teensy DEBUG.jpg

There is 3 pins for Debug but I don't know with what tools and its IDE? Do you know a JTAG provider ? Thank for your helps.

Hello,

With which tool I can do JTAG or SWD with the 'Teensy 3.6 Development Board' and which IDE will you recommend to me ? Can anyone really answer this question for me ?

Those pins were placed for potential support. PJRC has not yet exposed a means for that.

Perhaps WWW search will find some creative solution offered by 'others'

Thank you for this information about theses pins and for IDE do you know if I can use Visual Studio with Visual micro to work with this TEENSY card ? Which IDE you use for TEENSY cards

Thank you for this information about theses pins and for IDE do you know if I can use Visual Studio with Visual micro to work with this TEENSY card ? Which IDE you use for TEENSY cards

Best to start with and be able to use the Arduino IDE as it is supported directly - and is the common denominator for all posts and sketches when questions arise. It is also straightforward to install a supported version from Arduino downloads (no daily builds only current or selective past releases, and not the Windows store or other custom version) then TeensyDuino.

Here I use the IDE but working with a commandline execution of (TSET for Windows only) it that triggers from my Editor 'SublimeText' in combination with the TyCommander for Serial Monitor as it allows 1 or more Teensy units to be used and debugged at once - ... had 6 on the other day. It also integrates to the IDE to allow it to perform the uploads selectively to each Teensy without bopping around the menu or pushing buttons.

Looking around there are other solutions: Visual Teensy works with VSCode, Platform IO and yes Visual Studio with Visual Micro all work and have folks using them.

Best to start with and be able to use the Arduino IDE as it is supported directly - and is the common denominator for all posts and sketches when questions arise. It is also straightforward to install a supported version from Arduino downloads (no daily builds only current or selective past releases, and not the Windows store or other custom version) then TeensyDuino.

Yes I can see Arduino IDE for starting but I would like to find a tool more efficient to do JTAG/DEBUG (or something) because it is a project with a lot of criticism. That why at the beginning of this topic I wanted to know about the debugging tools. Of course with ARDUINO IDE I can display comments via serial port but it's not a real tool for DEBUG.

Yes I can see Arduino IDE for starting but I would like to find a tool more efficient to do JTAG/DEBUG (or something) because it is a project with a lot of criticism. That why at the beginning of this topic I wanted to know about the debugging tools. Of course with ARDUINO IDE I can display comments via serial port but it's not a real tool for DEBUG.

If and how well any 'non sanctioned' JTAG/DEBUG hack works is based on what a search shows. It has apparently worked for some Teensy models - but PJRC nor anyone seen around here much uses it AFAIK. Just debug print spew and for the gifted a Logic Analyzer or O-Scope.

Done in software at the moment. I have not used it yet. There are u-tube demonstrations online.

For example: see here https://github.com/luni64/VisualTeensy/releases/tag/v0.9.7.0 for some information, and mod links.

Thank you for your answer. But after your link I can see and use 'J link' but I'm not sure ! I find this link to explain how to modify the hardware with 'Eclipse' (so I suppose it's the same with Visual Studio) :
https://mcuoneclipse.com/2017/04/29/modifying-the-teensy-3-5-and-3-6-for-arm-swd-debugging/

For the software I think I'll have many solution but for the Hardware to use JTAG/SWD I have a doubt.

For the software I think I'll have many solution but for the Hardware to use JTAG/SWD I have a doubt.
The video in the link from #13 shows debugging with with a hardware probe (JLink EDU). The mod link (the same as you linked above) shows how to modify a T3.6 board to be able to connect a SWD probe. This is not specific to the Eclipse IDE.
I don't know if VisualMicro can handle hardware debug probes. IMHO, these days the state of the art development system is PlatformIO using VisualCode which is perfectly able to debug using hardware probes.

Edit: Here pictures how I did the mod but I rarely use it since just debug printing / toggling pins is more efficient for me.

Screenshot 2021-06-21 155641.jpg

The connector is simply attached by double-sided adhesive tape

Last edited:
IMHO, these days the state of the art development system is PlatformIO using VisualCode which is perfectly able to debug using hardware probes.
Sorry for my English but What do you mean IMHO ? What's the hardware probes you use with VisualCode ? Do you have a ref ?

What do you mean IMHO
Sorry for being sloppy. That means "in my humble opinion" and is just a disclaimer that I have no monopoly on truth :)

What's the hardware probes you use with VisualCode

I tested JLINK EDU and a JLINK Mini both from Segger. You can easily google them.
I also tested one of those cheap (~5 EUR) china devices (e.g. https://www.amazon.de/-/en/DollaTek...d=1&keywords=swd+debug&qid=1624284914&sr=8-25) which also works perfectly.

Those probes are accessed through a standard GDB interface. So, as long as your IDE is able to talk to GDB it should be able to use your probe.

Let me to summarize our discuss. After my understanding.
1- I modify the mod like this picture as you show to me
2- I buy a 'JLINK EDU' for segger for example and I use the VisualCode like software to communicate with this 'JLINK EDU'
3- I use a standard GDB interface for Debug my mod Teensy 3.6. The GDB interface is not the same like SWD right ? So I don't need to remove the component 'KL02Z' (like in my previous link #15) Right ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back