how to upload code through a different Serial

Status
Not open for further replies.

dekel.kan1

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to upload code to Teensy4.0/4.1 over a UART, instead of USB.

I have a USB to UART converter that is sitting at the edge of my vehicle, making it easy to connect while its closed.
I understand that in order to get Serial Monitor data I need to write - Serial1.begin({baud}). Not sure how to get to upload code.

any info will be helpful, thanks

This is asked over and over again.

Let me answer this way:
the definition of a Teensy, among others, is that you only upload program via USB. For this it uses a dedicated bootloader chip.

Of course, you can write a program that is uploaded via USB that itself loads secondary code via any other means (Serial, Ethernet, microSD, etc)
Of course, you can modify/augment Teensy Hardware to use SWD or JTAG to upload code (easier with some Teensy models, more difficult with others)
But, in the end, Teensy is a USB MCU development board. Other MCU boards may be better suited for non-USB programming.

I’d be ok with somehow extending the main usb connection to a location I can connect to while the vehicle is closed. I saw D+ and D- in the schematics and am yet to find how to interface with it. Any insight would be appreciated. I prefer to not just install a usb extension cable

I thought too that it’s probably a common question. Couldn’t find much about it in the forum so started this for others in the future.

Thank you

Dkl

These physical Bottom side connect details are on product page images at PJRC.COM.

On T_4.0 the D+ and D- are for USB_HOST - a second USB device on the MCU, not the primary Device USB interface for programming.

On T_4.1 the D+ and D- pins along with VIN and GND can be wired to an off board connector to connect the Device USB, for programming and SerMon usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back