Relation between PIT and GPT timer on Teensy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

michastro

Hello,
I have a quite complicated program with a PIT timer and a GPT timer. I would like to know if there is no relation between this two timers, if one timer can disturb the other one. My PIT timer is around 50kHz, and the GPT timer is ok with a speed of less than 100Hz, above it seems than it is slower than expected. Perhaps, it will be more efficient to use 2 channels of the PIT timer, but I can't find any example of that use.
Thanks
Michel

The only relationship I know of is they share the same setup in Clock Controller Module (CCM) if you look at the Clock Tree configuration: Page 1016 in PDF file.
By default they run at 24mhz.

But there is a configurable option within the library Teensytimertool that allows you to change these from the fixed 24mhz OSC clock to use the other configuration that typically runs at 150mhz.
So if you have defined one timer using the normal stuff, and then later setup a timer using the tmertool, it might throw the timings of the existing timers.

if one timer can disturb the other one.

As Frank and Kurt said, they're independent hardware.

My PIT timer is around 50kHz, and the GPT timer is ok with a speed of less than 100Hz, above it seems than it is slower than expected.

Perhaps assigning interrupt priority levels might help? Really, that's just a blind guess, since I have not idea what you're actually observing which "seems than it is slower than expected". In fact, I really don't even know if you're using interrupts or employing the timers some other way.

Perhaps, it will be more efficient to use 2 channels of the PIT timer, but I can't find any example of that use.

Just use 2 instances of IntervalTimer. Easy peasy!

Ok thank you, so I don't understand where is the problem. Here is a little part of my code. The TimerMoteur is used to make a ramp to increase and decrease the speed of motor and to make a precise number of steps. The value of the timer is starting at about 4000Hz, increase up to 50000Hz and decrease to 4000Hz then stop. The TimerCompensation is used to inject more steps during the process because the system is used to follow the stars, and the sky continue to turn during the process. The rate of TimerCompensation can be between 50 and 300Hz. As you can see the TimerCompensation interrupt is very short ans at a slow rate compare to the other timer and the clock of Teensy. What I don't understand is the fact that time for the process increase quite strongly if I increase the speed of TimerCompensation, that is normal that it increases, but just a little bit because the difference of steps small. In fact between 50Hz and 100Hz, it's ok, after it becomes longer and longer.
If you have an idea, I am interested.
Thanks
Code:
#include "TeensyTimerTool.h"
using namespace TeensyTimerTool;
#define RS232 Serial
PeriodicTimer TimerMoteur(PIT);
PeriodicTimer TimerCompensation(PIT);
int Num_Pointage;
byte Accu_Add;

void step_moteur(void) {
   digitalWrite(Out_DIR, HIGH);
   digitalWrite(Out_HorlogeMoteur, LOW);
}

/****************************************************************
         Function Name:  MoveNumOfUSteps
         Return Value:   none
         Parameters:     none
         Description:    Move motor x steps in dir Out_DIR
 ****************************************************************/

void MoveNumOfUSteps(void) {
  int t = micros();

while (Num_Pointage > 1) {          
    // Calculation of a new _delay to accelerate the stepbystep motor
    TimerMoteur.stop();
    PIT_LDVAL0 = _delay;      // Valeur du delai transferee dans le registre comparateur
    PIT_TCTRL0 = PIT_TCTRL_TEN; // start Timer0 without interruption
    Num_Pointage--;

Num_Pointage += Pointage_Corr;  // Adjust Num_Pointage
    step_moteur();  //one micro step

while (PIT_TFLG0 == 0) {  // Waiting the end of timermoteur
    }
    PIT_TFLG0 = 1; //clear flag of timer0
  }

t = micros() - t;
  RS232.printf("time in micro seconde=%d\r\n", t);
}

void setup() {
  pinMode(Out_HorlogeMoteur, OUTPUT_OPENDRAIN);
  pinMode(Out_DIR, OUTPUT_OPENDRAIN);

RS232.begin(19200);
  while (RS232);

//    PIT Initialisation for the motor interrupt
  TimerMoteur.begin(IntTimerMoteur, 400ms, true);
  NVIC_SET_PRIORITY(IRQ_PIT, 20);   //priority
  TimerMoteur.start();

TimerCompensation.begin(IntTimerCompensation, 250ms, true);
  TimerMoteur.stop();
  Num_Pointage=10000;
  MoveNumOfUSteps();
  exit(0);
}

void loop() {
}

void IntTimerCompensation() {
  //
  // Timer PIT1 interrupt handler
  // is used only during slewing to
  //
  // compensate for sidereal speed during the acceleration phase
  //
    if (!Accu_Add) {     // If slewing is in anti-sidereal dir (one of SPD_*_MINUS) //
      if (Num_Pointage > 1) {
        Pointage_Corr--;        
      }
    }
    else {
      Pointage_Corr++; // If slewing is in sidereal dir (one of SPD_*_PLUS) //
    }
}

void IntTimerMoteur() {
  step_moteur();
}

Sorry I have not done the math.

But if it were me, I would look at the resolution of the timers. That is again they run at 24mhz, so for example if you are running at 4mhz, that
would imply like 6 cycles of the clock. Note Interval timer I don't believe will allow you to set this short off a time... But probably the Teensy Timer tool does.

But then to go up to around 5mhz, 24/5 = 4 cycles. which is 6mhz or, it is 5 or 4.8mhz...

Now again I believe that the timer tool has the ability to run them at 150mhz... Which would give you more granularity, but it will effect both types of timers.

Hope that makes sense?

Again I don't know if that is what you are running into, but that is what I would look at next if it were me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back