MK20DX256VLH7 Out of Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I'm currently doing a DIY project that involves rebuilding the teensy 3.2 from scratch. I am trying to create a BOM for PCBWay to build my custom PCB, however, it looks like the MK20DX256VLH7 (https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NXP-Semiconductors/MK20DX256VLH7?qs=b%2B6ZnhyoAL/Vf1Ewi0iu9Q==) is completely out of stock nearly everywhere. I know that this has been a problem in the past and that PJRC has sometimes sold the MK20 to customers on a case-by-case basis. I would love to get my hands on the MK20 to complete my project, or if anyone else knows of other microcontrollers that can be used as substitutes for the MK20 that are compatible with the teensy software that would be great!

Thank you,
Maxwell

How many do you need? We do have some here, but we can only supply in small quantity, not more than a couple hundred.

Hi Paul,

We are seeing similar issues and have some concerns about building long-term using this processor.
Since you are certainly a major customer, do you have some information about the following:
What are the prospects that more MK20 chips will be available soon? And for how long? Do you think there will be new (but Teensy 3.2-compatible) versions coming out?

Thank you!

If you need just a few MK20 chips for prototypes, email me directly. I have about dozen chips left.

NXP is definitely still making this part. I believe we're due to get more in September, and of course we have a lot more scheduled.

Unfortunately, we're currently in the middle of a global semiconductor shortage, perhaps the worst ever (though 1996 and 1987 were pretty bad too). During normal times most parts have moderate quantities in stock at distributors and you really only need to schedule long in advance for high volume use. When things return to normal is anybody's guess. Some people are saying early 2022. Others are guessing sometime in 2023. I personally don't have a crystal ball and I do have a pretty bad track record on guessing such things.

If you're starting a brand new design, and if you can use BGA, you might consider the IMXRT1062 chip from Teensy 4.0 / 4.1. NXP is offering a lower lead time on those parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back