USB Host Capacitance Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemmings

Hey everyone, I'm making a teensy synth that I want to be able to play with my m-audio mini usb-only keyboard--and plug directly into the teensy synth without any computer or USB-DIN/Serial converter. I've decided to use a Seeeduino (SAM21 mcu with USB host capability) as a usb host board instead of the Arduino USB host board (cheaper, smaller). The PJRC guide suggested using at least a 120uF capacitor just to account for the sudden current draw that occurs when plugging in a USB device that will be powered from the same source as the teensy. Does where I place the 120uF especially matter? Should I place it right in front of the Seeduino VIN or near the Teensy VIN, or does either work? Also, is there a reason the guide suggests only a 100uF capacitor if not using a power supply? USB Host Shield Library, For Connecting Other USB Devices

I'm only planning on using small low power mini keyboards with this project, so I am not worrying too much about needing a power supply, I think the standard 500mA should be fine to run everything. I've attached some screenshots of my schematic if that helps. Also I am using a PowerMUX board and voltage regulator for the optional use of a power supply, the power mux board limits current to 2.0A max. Thank you!

usb midi host 2.jpg SB MIDI HOST 1.jpg

Hello, you know that Teensy 4.0 and 4.1 already have USB Host capability? You would be better off with a 4.1, as the host pins have a proper 0.1" pitch plus power management. You can set USB type in Arduino IDE to compile with Serial+MIDI and it's mostly done for you. I use an Arturia Minilab on 3.6 and 4.1 and never had any problems.

Teensy4.1 pinout

Hello, you know that Teensy 4.0 and 4.1 already have USB Host capability? You would be better off with a 4.1, as the host pins have a proper 0.1" pitch plus power management. You can set USB type in Arduino IDE to compile with Serial+MIDI and it's mostly done for you. I use an Arturia Minilab on 3.6 and 4.1 and never had any problems.

Teensy4.1 pinout

Thanks UHF, yes you're right. I decided to just go with the Teensy 4.1 afterall, and yes the power management is nice to have taken care of onboard like that. I was also a little concerned about availability of the Teensy 4.1 and extra cost (the teensy 4.0 plus seeduino is still cheaper than a teensy 4.1 ;) ), but looks like other distributors carry the 4.1 if the PJRC store is out of stock when I need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back