T4.1 - second memory chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

floating.

Aside from soldering (which might be a bit tricky for a non SOIC chip), what would be needed to be able to use either MRAM, FRAM, or a higher capacity (256Mb or more) NOR FLASH?

Look at the chips LittleFS currently supports on QSPI.

If you choose a chip which isn't yet supported, you may have to write the software driver. Programming the FlexSPI LUTs requires quite a learning curve.

Hardware-wise, the main limitation is FlexSPI uses pretty fast clock speeds. I believe the default is currently 88 MHz. Memory chips with slow maximum clock speeds, like 20 MHz or even 40 MHz max not be able to work.

After a cursory look at the code I think I know what would be involved in adding a different nor flash chip. However, I'm not sure how much of that code would apply to either FRAM or MRAM. Good point on the clock speeds -- looking at them, there are some memory chips that are 100+ MHz, but many are only 40 - 50 MHz.

Does FlexSPI available for pins other than the ones you've used to support the additional memory chips? If not, how difficult would be to do QSPI using a regular SPI interface? Or would it be better to stick with regular SPI for FRAM or MRAM?

Reading the manual, as per Figure 27-2 FlexSPI supports up to 4 devices, but I'm not sure if T4.1 supports them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back