USB D-/D+ Host on Teensy 4.1 (Can I get away with these tiny traces on my PCB?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemmings

Hello folks,

So I’m using the Teensy 4.1 for my synth/midi controller project which has USB Host pins on board. Rather than accessing these pins by way of that special USB cable, I’d like to just have a proper USB port on my PCB. What is the best way to do this? The pins for the USB Host on the Teensy 4.1 are tucked into the middle of the board, so before I create the wide traces at the proper impedance for the differential pair, I’m going to have to run some tiny traces past other pins that are very close to each other.

I’ve attached some photos for reference here below. The traces will probably need to be around 0.2mm wide and they will pass beside pins which will be also be 0.2mm from the trace. The pins the D+/D- pair will be passing by are carrying audio data signals to/from the audio shield. Will this cause interference on my incoming signal? Or is this ample space? I’m just running USB MIDI into the USB Host pins, so we’re still at lower USB 2.0 speeds, nothing major. The only other option would be just running some wires from the Teensy onto my PCB, but is that okay to do without a specialized cable? Ideally I'd like to just use traces for this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

teensyUSBhost.jpg
usbhostfootprint.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back