CS42448 availability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwinTurbine

Hello!

I'm looking into adding the CS42448 to a Teensy project but I'm having problems sourcing the component. DigiKey and Farnell is completely out of stock and Mouser's only got 20 in stock as far as I can see. Does anyone know if it's still an active component or if it's scheduled for replacement? Or is it just due to the global silicon shortage?

That's really a question for Cirrus Logic. But frankly, I'm amazed there are still 20 pieces in stock anywhere. Almost every chip is out of stock at every distributor.

Yeah, that would probably generate the best answer. However, I figured that the aggregated community knowledge might be equally as good as waiting for a formal answer from Cirrus. But if it hasn't been acknowledged that CS42448 is out of production there still might be hope for my project!

Mouser still has some -CQZ stock.

174 shown in stock as of this morning.

I bought some last week, so they're real!

BTW, my 8x8 fully-balanced ins and outs boards are now pretty much ready for release to the world, happy to share them with you if that will help your project forward.

They are described, briefly in https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/66559-TDM-Matrix-mixer

One tip for CS42448 projects:

The code for setting individual input and output gains on the CS42448 was incomplete in Teensyduino 1.8.5 - I haven't tested the most recent one. I wrote the missing code: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/67298-Missing-CS42448-control-functions-written

I'm happy to share tricks and traps if you want to start a thread for your project. I keep an eye out for anything in the Audio section of the forum with CS42448 in the title!

Richard

Last edited:
Anyone hand soldering these - are they ok to hard solder?

Been using WM8731 but need extra outputs and these look really good.

If you have a very steady hand and good access to solderwick it is possible.

The technique I'd try is using solder paste (rather than solder wire) and running a soldering iron across all the pins (gently), then tidying up.

I, personally, use a SMD oven and solder paste (hand applied) and then clean up the solder bridges with a desoldering pump.

For now, at least the question is likely to be academic as the global supply of CS42448s is about to run out - Mouser still has 20, but none anywhere else we can find. Next supply is due at EOY, but these delivery dates are far from certain.

As a chip I can highly recommend it. Pairing it with the PCM1808 (Paul's 8x8 design) or a CS5343 (mine) works just fine, but both only offer single-ended inputs for 7 & 8. There doesn't seem to be a chip, however, that allows full balanced inputs.

Have fun with your project!

Thanks @palmerr - sounds good, I'll have a go. I panicked and snagged a few off Mouser!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back