RAWHID custom device identifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

The goal of this question is to find the Teensy boards that are communiticating over RAWHID and programmed to run a particular application.

For example, one Teensy might be programmed to act as a spectrometer (with a CCD), Another might be programmed to act as an analog i/o device.

In the python HIDAPI there is an enumerator that returns a dictionary object for each HID device, with the following fields (see https://trezor.github.io/cython-hidapi/api.html)

‘path’
‘vendor_id’
‘product_id’
‘serial_number’
‘release_number’
‘manufacturer_string’
‘product_string’
‘usage_page’
‘usage’
‘interface_number’

The enumerator is an attractive way to find the Teensy boards because it does not "open" the device.

So, can any of these fields be customized in an easy way in the Teensy? I think I would leave the vendor and perhaps the product alone. The serial number, or either of the strings seems most interesting for this purpose.

Technically, you can easily change those fields in the core files. Look at the usb*.* files.

Following remarks:
  • In case you are using a development system which uses a fixed location of the core library, changing the core files for different applications might turn out quite tedious. If your development system allows to have the core files bundled with the project this will be much easier to handle.
  • If you are going that way, I suggest to code your different usages in the usage number of the RAWHID interface. After all, this is what the usage number is meant for. Of course, since the VID doesn't belong to you, you can't be sure that PJRC never decides to change the default usage number later which might clash with yours then.
  • I wouldn't touch the vid/pid numbers and the usage/usage_page of the SerEmu interface since then (depending on the uploader) you need to press the prog button to upload new firmware
AFAIK, the only enumeration field accessible without touching the core files is the serial number. Here some information how to do this: https://github.com/TeensyUser/doc/wiki/Custom-Serial-Number. Just make sure that you define a unique string if there is a chance that you'll have more than one device on the USB-Bus. There are a few posts in the forum reporting some OS confusion in that case.

APPENDIX:
I installed python and the mentioned HID library and had a look if it works with the custom serial number set by the code from the link in #2.

Code:
import hid

for device_dict in hid.enumerate():
    keys = list(device_dict.keys())
    for key in keys:
        print("%s : %s" % (key, device_dict[key]))
    print()

prints (deleted the other found HIDs...)
Code:
path : b'\\\\?\\hid#vid_16c0&pid_0486&mi_00#9&2df9efa9&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}'
vendor_id : 5824
product_id : 1158
serial_number : [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]MYSN00001[/COLOR][/B]
release_number : 640
manufacturer_string : Teensyduino
product_string : Teensyduino RawHID
usage_page : 65451
usage : 512
interface_number : 0

path : b'\\\\?\\hid#vid_16c0&pid_0486&mi_01#9&36f93e87&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}'
vendor_id : 5824
product_id : 1158
serial_number : [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]MYSN00001[/COLOR][/B]
release_number : 640
manufacturer_string : Teensyduino
product_string : Teensyduino RawHID
usage_page : 65481
usage : 4
interface_number : 1

The first one with Usage 512 (0x200) is the raw hid interface, the second one is SEREMU. So, looks like the serial number manipulation is feasible to achieve your goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back