Teensy 4.0 Serial and Audio issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdID55

Hello,

I am running a project where I need audio and serial. I am using a cs42448 codec with a teensy 4.0 and windows 10 on my computer.

APPROACH 1
If I set the device as audio/midi/serial it will work HOWEVER, if I pass it through a USB hub I start to have serial connection issues.

--Here is the weird part--

The audio is still working but i cannot send any USB serial to the teensy AFTER I SEND THE FIRST MESSAGE. I can still receive messages from the teensy but cannot transmit to it. I confirmed the first serial message I send gets to the teensy (tell it to turn on LED) but after that, It's like any other command I send gets ignored.

--I have confirmed it has something to do with the USB Hub--

If I use the same code but remove the hub, everything works fine. I have tried 4 different types of hubs (2.0/3.0 and 1 of which was an externally powered hub). I have to use a hub as the computer I will eventually use for the project will only have one port available and other hardware will need to go through it.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is there a specific type of hub I should try to use/avoid.

APPROACH2
I tried to just set the device as Audio and use the Hardware Serial pins for serial communication. I am using an FTDI chip to translate USB <-> Serial. The FTDI chip and the teensy's USB both go through a hub to the computer. As soon as I do HWSERIAL.begin(any Baud Rate), I lose all audio.
Below is the example usb audio passthorugh I modified for the CS42448 that I used for the test. Everything works fine until I uncomment HWSERIAL.begin(). I can then communicate via hardware serial but lose all audio. I have also tried setting the teensy as audio/midi/serial while doing this approach with the exact same results.

Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#include <Audio.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <SD.h>
#include <SerialFlash.h>

#define HWSERIAL Serial5

AudioInputUSB usb1; //xy=200,69 (must set Tools > USB Type to Audio)
AudioOutputTDM i2s1; //xy=365,94
AudioConnection patchCord1(usb1, 0, i2s1, 0);
AudioConnection patchCord2(usb1, 1, i2s1, 2);
AudioControlCS42448 sgtl5000_1; //xy=302,184

void setup() {

Serial.begin(9600);
//HWSERIAL.begin(38400);
AudioMemory(12);
sgtl5000_1.enable();
sgtl5000_1.volume(0.6);
}

void loop() {
// read the PC's volume setting
float vol = usb1.volume();
int incomingByte;

if (Serial.available() > 0) {
incomingByte = Serial.read();
Serial.print("USB received: ");
Serial.println(incomingByte, DEC);
HWSERIAL.print("USB received:");
HWSERIAL.println(incomingByte, DEC);
}
if (HWSERIAL.available() > 0) {
incomingByte = HWSERIAL.read();
Serial.print("UART received: ");
Serial.println(incomingByte, DEC);
HWSERIAL.print("UART received:");
HWSERIAL.println(incomingByte, DEC);
}
// scale to a nice range (not too loud)
// and adjust the audio shield output volume
if (vol > 0) {
// scale 0 = 1.0 range to:
// 0.3 = almost silent
// 0.8 = really loud
vol = 0.3 + vol * 0.5;
}

// use the scaled volume setting. Delete this for fixed volume.
sgtl5000_1.volume(vol);

delay(100);
}

// Teensyduino 1.35 & earlier had a problem with USB audio on Macintosh
// computers. For more info and a workaround:
// https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/3485...-on-Teensy-3-1?p=110392&viewfull=1#post110392

Last edited:
I added delay(1) when I am reading my serial and it appears to have fixed the issue when going through a hub (approach 1). Just sharing in case anyone else has this issue.

I had problems with usb1.volume() and quit using it. Calling it too fast might be the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back