Behavior of USB Host with only 3.3v instead of 5v

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdharbert

I was planning to use USB host mode on a portable unit in order to use USB BLE dongles for easy communication. I forgot about the 5v requirement. The battery only gives 3.7. If my goal is to operate only a BLE 4.0 dongle, is there any chance this can still work?

There's a chance it will work. I'd say odds are probably better than 50-50, but of course it really depends on that specific USB device. Virtually all modern chips run on 3.3V or lower. It will really depend on whether the voltage regulator inside that device can still create the proper internal voltage with less than 5V input from the USB cable.

That was my reasoning as well. I'm still in the process of selecting a good BLE 4.0 dongle for this. There was a table from an old thread but the links are dead now. Any pointers appreciated.

That was my reasoning as well. I'm still in the process of selecting a good BLE 4.0 dongle for this. There was a table from an old thread but the links are dead now. Any pointers appreciated.

Assume that was the Host Bt test thread? Post there where the dead links are ... maybe what worked can be tested at LIPO voltages and then current links found to same parts if one if found to work. All testing there was USB 5V power - and 3.7B cell was tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back