how to use the ics52000 microphone with teensy 4.1

I believe Teensy's TDM implementation would be called "TMD8". It has been validated with Cirrus CS42448.

I ordered 10 bare ICS-52000 chips from Digikey. Will make another attempt. Maybe the notwired.co boards are defective, with the mics acoustically damaged somehow? It did transmit data and was somewhat working, but only very slight sensitivity to sounds in the room.

I tried to connect the ICS52000 directly to the teensy 4.1, with some basic circuit recommended by the ICS52000 data sheet,
Click image for larger version.

but it is still not working?

Why do you give so little info every time you ask for us to help? This photo does not show how you actually connected to Teensy. We can't even see which wires are which pins in this photo! You also did not show the code you ran for this test.

Please understand this is not how we work on this forum. When you say you tried something and it did not work, you need to actually show us what you tried. A photo is good only if it gives meaningful info.

So , my boss is not happy.

Your boss is not the only person unhappy. I am personally frustrated by your way of posting, starting too many threads, not showing how you actually connect the hardware.

Still I am trying to help you. But I am asking myself why I should spend even more time on ICS-52000?

Last edited:
I created a small PCB to hold the ICS52000 upside down for use on a breadboard, so the sound sensitive part is facing up.

ics52000.jpg

When this PCB and the ICS52000 chips arrive, I will try again.

@feima0011 - Please try to show useful info next time you post about anything you have tried. Show a photo or set of photos so anyone can see how the wires really connect to Teensy. So the actual test program you ran on Teensy. Before posting (or within the 2 hour time allowed for edits) read your message and try to imagine if you had to recreate the work described in your message. Is enough info shown? When you say it does not work, have you actually stated when you really observed? Can we see or hear what you actually saw or heard? Just saying it does not work without any real info about what was actually observed is worthless, as we can not try to help you with so little info. Try to imagine if you were spending time helping someone who posts messages as you do! And whatever you do, no more threads created about ICS52000. Creating too many threads only sabotages your opportunity for useful help!

Hm, should there a hole in the pcb, for the "sound port"? The datasheet shows a round connection for gnd (around the hole) - perhaps a simple pad could lead to solder filling the hole?

2021-08-25 15_27_31-DS-000121-ICS-52000-v1.3.pdf.png

Anyway, even with that it should at least output some usable data, perhaps a bit quiet.

Hm, should there a hole in the pcb, for the "sound port"?

This intention is to mount the chip upside down and secure it with glue or tape, and then solder 7 tiny wires to the nearby SMT pads (which are *not* underneath the chip).

Yes, it will be kludgy and ugly, but I'm not going to try to solder pads completely underneath the part. Maybe someone with a good reflow oven could do it, but I'm just using my soldering iron.

Also not going to do loose wires like the photo in msg #41. Every time I try that sort of thing, I end up breaking the wires or part when it moves on my workbench. I also wanted the pins clearly labeled, as 7 unlabeled wires tends to not get connected correctly...

Anyway, even with that it should at least output some usable data, perhaps a bit quiet.

That is exactly what the notwired.co boards do, except much more than only "a bit" quiet. They have almost no sensitivity to sound.

With only 1 or 2 microphones, it looks like the clock rate can be 64 x 44100 = 2.8Mhz. Which is generally reported to be reliable with a breadboard.

Those PCBs arrived from OSH Park. I soldered ICS52000s onto 2 of them.

ics52000.JPG

Hope to experiment with them later this week. Lately 1.55-beta has taken all my dev time, but just wanted to follow up here to say I haven't forgotten about the lingering ICS52000 problems.

Hello,

I have only found the ICS52000 as a MEMS microphone that supports TDM and I would like to use it with a Teensy microcontroller. However, by the looks of this forum, almost everybody seems to struggle with making this MEMS microphone work with Teensy so is anyone aware of an alternative microphone that could be used to build a microphone array with 8 mics and be connected to a Teensy ?

Did PaulStoffregen manage to get some insights on how to combine the UCS52000 and Teensy mcu ?

Thanks !

Back