Teensyduino 1.54 Beta #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
@UdoZ - Could you translate your code's comments to English? Sadly, I don't speak German. I tried copying a few of the comments into Google Translate....

My understanding is I'm supposed to run this test using Teensy 4.1 (running the 1st program) connected to an Arduino Mega (running the 2nd program) with Arduino Ethernet Shield. Is that right? Can you tell me exactly which Ethernet Shield you used? Subtle differences exist between the W5100, W5200, W5500 chips used on the many ethernet shields. Did you connect the 2 boards directly with a cable, or were they both plugged into an ethernet switch or hub?

And I know this question may be redundant, but please tell me you actually ran this EXACT code on those 2 boards and saw the problem, right? Many, many times on this forum we've seen a program like this which is adapted from much larger code. Sometimes people do not actually test the reduced code. I'm not trying to say you would do such a thing, only that many times I've put hours of work into running a program like this and ultimately it was unable to reproduce the problem because it lacked some detail from the larger original code.

Please, confirm you actually ran these exact 2 programs, and tell me exactly which non-Teensy shield was used with Arduino Mega.

Could you run the second code on a a second T4.1? I only used a Mega2560 as one was available.

Not sure. Have to look if I have a 2nd cable and the small pins somewhere..
Perhaps tomorrrow (If I can find the parts)

Last edited:
@UdoZ - Could you translate your code's comments to English? Sadly, I don't speak German. I tried copying a few of the comments into Google Translate....

My understanding is I'm supposed to run this test using Teensy 4.1 (running the 1st program) connected to an Arduino Mega (running the 2nd program) with Arduino Ethernet Shield. Is that right? Can you tell me exactly which Ethernet Shield you used? Subtle differences exist between the W5100, W5200, W5500 chips used on the many ethernet shields. Did you connect the 2 boards directly with a cable, or were they both plugged into an ethernet switch or hub?

And I know this question may be redundant, but please tell me you actually ran this EXACT code on those 2 boards and saw the problem, right? Many, many times on this forum we've seen a program like this which is adapted from much larger code. Sometimes people do not actually test the reduced code. I'm not trying to say you would do such a thing, only that many times I've put hours of work into running a program like this and ultimately it was unable to reproduce the problem because it lacked some detail from the larger original code.

Please, confirm you actually ran these exact 2 programs, and tell me exactly which non-Teensy shield was used with Arduino Mega.

Hi Paul, yes, these exactly two programs have been used. Please note that line 138 "sendPowerToMYPV2(0,500);" is and was in the test commented out, therefore that part of the German commented code was not used. Therefore ignore it and its German comments. The other code includes English comments. Running the test with sub "sendPowerToMYPV2(0,500)" seems to produce the fault faster, but as it would be difficult for you and others to use, I made tests also without it (->commented out).

Teensy 4.1 was connected to a Netgear GS305EPP, which was connected to a Netgear GS750E, which was connected to the Mega 2560. Shield used is Arduino Ethernet V2, containing a W5500. However, neither the Mega nor the W5500 should be considered, as this is the Test setup only. The fault happens too when T4.1 are connected to each other via Netgear GS750E or if T4.1 is contacted by Windows IIS.

The same issue has been seen on 3 applications now, all using T4.1 but are otherwise different. And furthermore, my findings, albeit maybe more lengthy described, have been reported by others before - here in the Forum. So far only SendErr:-20 had -to my knowledge- resulted in a change (->client.close() ) , all others remained unresolved.

I have tried several weeks now to understand what could go wrong in my code, considering -apologies for repeating myself - that these codes had run perfectly on Mega or Due for several years without a glitch . In the end I suspected it might be the timing of incoming requests, as my three T4.1 application showed the fault at different frequencies, hence I made that code, I listed here.

In my fault description I added two lines of the Serial Output, of a test which had started 08:38 and finished (= T4.1. stops processing) 12:21 with this line

12:21:54.216 -> GETPgEsN66 Action:20 SkNr@Start:7 additional Info rxed: = None client.close done SNrP1:7 client.stop executed SkNr@End:8 dt_ms: 0

Considering that in this test, there is only one source, here a Mega, requesting from T4.1 Ethernet Server, there seems no reason for me, why the socket count could go up over time, until the T4.1 have run out of sockets.

The problem is infrequent, and one need patience to see it. Its low frequency explains, why the fault is less frequently seen on applications with low Ethernet traffic.

Paul, I forgot to mention, that in those instances, where I have seen the socket count going up until no longer receiving or sending messages via LAN, the rest of the T4.1 code continued to work. In these instances my code counted the number of "no connection" and restarted the T4.1 via Watchdog. However, there have been instances, where my code could not see the miscount but the process came to an hold until the watchdog restarted it. The latter case reminds me most of the fact, that this Watchdog activated restart happened frequently, when 2 processors are connected and I put new software on the receiving one. Better explained: There are two T4.1, running different code. The first makes requests from the second. I load a new program to the second item, which means there are approx. 90 secs between program load and my Loop() running, due to reading more than 200 parameters first from a 9600baud connection. Hence, I guess, the processor connects, but waits (for ever) for an answer. There are no while() statements in my code which are not time controlled nor could I see any (beside no Ethernet cable connected at startup) in NativeEthernet.

Hi Paul, yes, these exactly two programs have been used.

Ok. I set up the test on my workbench. I found an old Arduino Mega clone and a Arduino Ethernet Shield R3 (W5100 chip). These 2 boards are running the exact code from msg #22.

ethtest.jpg

Here is the result I'm seeing on my screen. Both windows are scrolling many lines of text, about once every 5 seconds.

screenshot.jpg

Does this look correct?

The problem is infrequent, and one need patience to see it. Its low frequency explains, why the fault is less frequently seen on applications with low Ethernet traffic.

So it's been running for about 5 minutes.

Is the expected failure that one or both windows will stop printing text? Or should I look for something else to recognize when it has failed?

Confirmed, the Teensy 4.1 stopped printing after about 40 minutes. The Arduino Mega side started printing "connection # ... failed" messages.

Later today I will work on reproducing the error more rapidly....

Edit: Sorry, we posted at the same time

Paul, yes that looks correct. The T4.1 print out shows the socket numbers, which do (here?) increase over time until they have reached maxSocket. When T4.1 finally stops processing any incoming request, T4.1 serial output stops, whilst Mega's serial output shows scrolling lines, similar to these:

15:03:32.132 -> 4 failed
15:03:32.132 -> connection #
15:03:32.132 -> 5 failed
15:03:32.132 -> connection #

Your assistance is highly appreciated! Thank you!

Hi Paul,

Not sure if important or not, but noticed in USBHost_t36\bluetooth.cpp:
That some of the debug stuff is turned on:
Code:
#define DEBUG_BT
//#define DEBUG_BT_VERBOSE
Wonder if we should comment out the DEBUG_BT line for the release?

Confirmed, the Teensy 4.1 stopped printing after about 40 minutes. The Arduino Mega side started printing "connection # ... failed" messages.

Later today I will work on reproducing the error more rapidly....

Sorry for the my silence on these issues recently, but I haven't had time to dedicate towards this. I'm aware of what's happening with the TCP code and why it's seemingly running out of sockets out of nowhere. This was previously reported here: https://github.com/vjmuzik/NativeEthernet/issues/7

The short of it is that when EthernetServer.available finds a client it opens a socket and expects the client to send data first before returning with an active client. From what I've been able to deduce with Wireshark is that FNET is losing that TCP data seemingly at random intervals meaning that EthernetServer.available will never close the socket because it's still expecting data to arrive. Eventually you will run out of sockets, see the link above to easily reproduce this without having to wait 40 minutes.

Unfortunately aside from implementing a blocking timeout on EthernetServer.available to detect the socket that doesn't receive data I haven't been able to pinpoint where exactly in FNET the data is getting lost. This is obviously a quick solution, but it was not one I was particularly happy with, so I never committed it, because it drops the socket altogether and I wanted to find the cause of the missing data.

Sorry for the my silence on these issues recently, but I haven't had time to dedicate towards this. I'm aware of what's happening with the TCP code and why it's seemingly running out of sockets out of nowhere. This was previously reported here: https://github.com/vjmuzik/NativeEthernet/issues/7

The short of it is that when EthernetServer.available finds a client it opens a socket and expects the client to send data first before returning with an active client. From what I've been able to deduce with Wireshark is that FNET is losing that TCP data seemingly at random intervals meaning that EthernetServer.available will never close the socket because it's still expecting data to arrive. Eventually you will run out of sockets, see the link above to easily reproduce this without having to wait 40 minutes.

Unfortunately aside from implementing a blocking timeout on EthernetServer.available to detect the socket that doesn't receive data I haven't been able to pinpoint where exactly in FNET the data is getting lost. This is obviously a quick solution, but it was not one I was particularly happy with, so I never committed it, because it drops the socket altogether and I wanted to find the cause of the missing data.

My apology for not reading your comments at https://github.com/vjmuzik/NativeEthernet/issues/7 properly, as I had seen it. I falsely assumed, the issue had been corrected, maybe not perfectly at source, but corrected, the moment Beta Release #12 was indicated as a potential release candidate for 1.54, clearly mentioning NativeEthernet as part of it.

Nevertheless, it is my opinion, that any library which is known to bring down a sketch, even if it is after a long time, should not be released without clear warning.

Please do not get me wrong, I appreciate your hard work, and thank you very much for your library. Now let it just get right :)

Can I just say this.
Networking may be something some people use, but it’s not that common. I’d say, release 1.54, then work on the networking for 1.55 😎

Last edited:
I've been looking into this NativeEthernet bug. Indeed the crash is happening deep within FNET. It's going to take some serious work to unravel to figure out what the actual cause really is.

Just to be realistic, this is very unlikely to get fixed in 1.54. So many other things are updated & improved, and it's been just over 1 year since 1.53 and Arduino 1.8.15 is now 7 weeks old. We really need to wrap up 1.54 now.

But I definitely will be diving into this problem in the coming weeks. It will get fixed, though a problem this complex isn't the sort of thing that (typically) gets solved quickly.

Here are trimmed copies of the code to reproduce the problem. I sped it up quite a lot, so it usually crashes in less than 1 minute.

Code:
// Run this on Teensy 4.1
//
// https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/67612?p=282662&viewfull=1#post282662

#define useClientClose 1

#include <Wire.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <NativeEthernet.h>

#include <elapsedMillis.h>

#include <TimeLib.h>

byte mac[] = {0xA8, 0x61, 0x0A, 0xAE, 0x2A, 0x1B };

IPAddress ip(192, 168, 2, 11);
IPAddress gateway(192, 168, 2, 1);
IPAddress subnet(255, 255, 255, 0);

EthernetServer server(9010);

float Parameter[275];
int LEDred = 13;
int LEDyellow = 14;
byte OutBuffer[45];
const byte maxPowerMeasurements = 10;
float fPges[1441][maxPowerMeasurements];
unsigned int dayCounter[maxPowerMeasurements] = {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0};
float Estunde[24][maxPowerMeasurements];  //hier speichern wir die stündlichen Summen ab
int counterEstunde[maxPowerMeasurements] = {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0};
int counterEtag[maxPowerMeasurements] = {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0};
float Etag[maxPowerMeasurements];           //hier speichern wir die laufende Tagessumme ab, dh Summe aller Messwerte durch Anzahl der Messwert
float oldEtag[maxPowerMeasurements];        //hier den gestrigen Wert, so dass wir ihn nach Miternacht für 24 Stunden abrufen können
byte letzteStunde = 26;
float LastPowerMeasurement[maxPowerMeasurements];
int EndSwitches = 10;
boolean useClientClose_PC_Contact = true;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(250000);
  while (!Serial) ; // wait for serial monitor
  Serial.println("NativeEthernet Crash Test");
  if (CrashReport) {
    Serial.print(CrashReport);
    Serial.println("send any text to start again");
    while (!Serial.available()) ; // wait
    Serial.clear();
  }
  //while (1);

//Ignore these inits, they are caused by my snippet
  OutBuffer[ 0] = 0x47; OutBuffer[ 1] = 0x45; OutBuffer[ 2] = 0x54; OutBuffer[ 3] = 0x20; OutBuffer[ 4] = 0x2F; OutBuffer[ 5] = 0x63; OutBuffer[ 6] = 0x6F; OutBuffer[ 7] = 0x6E; OutBuffer[ 8] = 0x74; OutBuffer[ 9] = 0x72; //GET /contr
  OutBuffer[10] = 0x6F; OutBuffer[11] = 0x6C; OutBuffer[12] = 0x2E; OutBuffer[13] = 0x68; OutBuffer[14] = 0x74; OutBuffer[15] = 0x6D; OutBuffer[16] = 0x6C; OutBuffer[17] = 0x3F; OutBuffer[18] = 0x70; OutBuffer[19] = 0x6F; //ol.html?po
  OutBuffer[20] = 0x77; OutBuffer[21] = 0x65; OutBuffer[22] = 0x72; OutBuffer[23] = 0x3D;
  Parameter[0] = 1;
  pinMode(LEDred, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(LEDyellow, OUTPUT);

Serial.println(F("connecting to Ethernet"));

pinMode(4, OUTPUT); digitalWrite(4, HIGH);
  Ethernet.begin(mac, ip, gateway, subnet);

//server.begin();      //start listening for clients on EThernet
  delay(1000);
}

void loop()
{
  PCContact();
  delay(1);
}

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
void PCContact()
{
  char ReadText[120];
  byte Count = 0;
  byte Action = 99;

long t1 = millis();

Ethernet.setRetransmissionCount(1);    //<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Ethernet.setRetransmissionTimeout(50); //<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EthernetClient client = server.available();

client.setConnectionTimeout(25);

boolean ExtraLine = false;

if (client) {
    //wait for Data from client
    elapsedMillis waitPC1;

//wait for Server to connect
    while (!client.available() && waitPC1 < 10000) {
      delayMicroseconds(1);
      if (waitPC1 > 16 && waitPC1 % 16 == 0) checkSerial1_for_KNX();
    }

if (waitPC1 > 1000) {
      Serial.print("waitPC1: ");  //INFO ONLY
      Serial.print(waitPC1);
      Serial.print("\tBytes:");
      Serial.println(client.available());
    }

if (client.available()) {
      Serial.println();

while (client.available() && Count < 95) {
        ReadText[Count] = client.read();
        if (ReadText[Count] > 48) Serial.print(ReadText[Count]);
        Count++;
      }

if (ReadText[0] == 'G' && ReadText[1] == 'E' && ReadText[2] == 'T') {
        Action = AnalyseGet(ReadText);     //Decode Get Information
        boolean currentLineIsBlank = true;
        int Limiter = 0;

//In case we haven't already read everything
        while (client.available() && Limiter < 120) {
          char c = client.read();   Serial.print(c);             // see what has been received

if (c == '\n') {
            currentLineIsBlank = true;      // you're starting a new line
          } else if (c != '\r') {
            currentLineIsBlank = false;     // you've gotten a character on the current line
          }
          if (c == '\n' && currentLineIsBlank) break;
          Limiter++;
        }

//Response - usually this connection goes to a true HTTP Server
        client.println(F("HTTp/1.1 200 OK")); client.println(F("Content-Type: text/html")); client.println(F("Connnection: close")); client.println();

Serial.print("\tAction:"); Serial.print(Action); byte SockNr = client.getSocketNumber();  Serial.print("\tSkNr@Start:"); Serial.print(SockNr);

switch (Action) {
          //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          case 0: //Info not understood
            {
              Serial.print(F("\n\n\tCannot decode PC's GET Request. RXed:   ")); Serial.print(ReadText); Serial.print(F("  Count=")); Serial.println(Count);
              client.println(F("NOK"));
              break;
            }

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          case 99: //favicon - nothing to do
            {
              Serial.println(F("Favicon"));
              break;
            }

//====================================================================================================================================================================
          case 20: //sende Pges Daten an den PC
            {
              //There is nothing special about this case 20, it has been stripped from my major application for this test - it basically sends
              //in this test example : 0$0.00$0.00$0.00$0.00$0$27$53$1$1$1970$0$0.00$0$0.00$0.00$DATA$DATA

//   else if(ReadText[5]=='P' && ReadText[6]=='g' && ReadText[7]=='E' && ReadText[8]=='s' && ReadText[9]=='N')                       bReturn=20;   //Messwerte der letzten Zeit senden

//GET /PgEsNpq_FabcdTvxyz$VAB$
              //012345678901234567890123

if (ReadText[10] != ReadText[11] || ReadText[10] < 48 || ReadText[10] > 57) {
                Serial.print(F("Invalid Request: "));
                Serial.println(ReadText);
                break;
              }

int PNr = ReadText[10] - 48;

int StartIndex = 0; int EndIndex = dayCounter[PNr];

//bei partieller Anfrage gilt GET /PgEsNpq_FabcdTvxyz$VAB$
              //                            012345678901234567890123
              //                            p=q  ParameterNr
              //                                         FROM
              //                                              To    .it VAB=V-1 für gestern

if (PNr == 9) ExtraLine = true;

if (ReadText[13] == 'F' &&  ReadText[18] == 'T' && ReadText[23] == '$') {
                int S = 0;
                int E =  dayCounter[PNr];

//partielle Anfrage
                if (   (ReadText[14] == '0' || ReadText[14] == '1') && ReadText[15] >= 48 && ReadText[15] <= 57 && ReadText[16] >= 48 && ReadText[16] <= 57 && ReadText[17] >= 48 && ReadText[17] <= 57) {
                  S = (ReadText[14] - 48) * 1000 + (ReadText[15] - 48) * 100 + (ReadText[16] - 48) * 10 + (ReadText[17] - 48);
                } else {
                  //Serial.print(F("14 15 16 17: ")); Serial.print(ReadText[14]); Serial.print(ReadText[15]); Serial.print(ReadText[16]); Serial.println(ReadText[17]);
                }

if (ReadText[19] != 'x' ||  ReadText[20] != 'x' || ReadText[21] != 'x' || ReadText[22] != 'x' ) {
                  if ( (ReadText[19] == '0' || ReadText[19] == '1') && ReadText[20] >= 48 && ReadText[20] <= 57 && ReadText[21] >= 48 && ReadText[21] <= 57 && ReadText[22] >= 48 && ReadText[22] <= 57 ) {
                    E = (ReadText[19] - 48) * 1000 + (ReadText[20] - 48) * 100 + (ReadText[21] - 48) * 10 + (ReadText[22] - 48);
                  }
                } else {
                  //Serial.print(F("19 20 21 22: ")); Serial.print(ReadText[19]); Serial.print(ReadText[20]); Serial.print(ReadText[21]); Serial.println(ReadText[22]);
                }

if (E >= S) {
                  StartIndex = S; EndIndex = E;
                } else {
                  //Serial.print(F("E: ")); Serial.print(E); Serial.print(F("  S: ")); Serial.println(S);
                }

} else {
                //Serial.print(F("13 18 23: ")); Serial.print(ReadText[13]); Serial.print(ReadText[18]); Serial.println(ReadText[23]);
              }

//Serial.print(F("Pges["));  Serial.print(PNr); Serial.print(F("] -> PC   from: ")); Serial.print(StartIndex); Serial.print(F(" to ")); Serial.print(EndIndex);

if (ReadText[24] == 'V' && ReadText[25] == '-' && ReadText[26] == '1' ) {
                client.print(dayCounter[PNr]); client.print(F("$"));

client.print(Parameter[267]); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(Parameter[268]); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(Parameter[269]); client.print(F("$"));

client.print(LastPowerMeasurement[PNr]); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(hour()); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(minute()); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(second()); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(day()); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(month()); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(year()); client.print(F("$"));

client.print(counterEstunde[PNr]); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(Estunde[letzteStunde][PNr]); client.print(F("$"));

client.print(counterEtag[PNr]); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(Etag[PNr]); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(Parameter[EndSwitches + 1]);
                client.print(F("$DATA$"));

for (int i = StartIndex; i < EndIndex; i++) {
                  client.print(F("$"));
                  if (i % 100 == 0) checkSerial1_for_KNX();
                }
                client.print(F("DATA"));
              }
              else
              {
                client.print(dayCounter[PNr]); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(Parameter[267]); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(Parameter[268]); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(Parameter[269]); client.print(F("$"));

client.print(LastPowerMeasurement[PNr]); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(hour()); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(minute()); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(second()); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(day()); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(month()); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(year()); client.print(F("$"));

client.print(counterEstunde[PNr]); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(Estunde[letzteStunde][PNr]); client.print(F("$"));

client.print(counterEtag[PNr]); client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(Etag[PNr]);  client.print(F("$"));
                client.print(Parameter[EndSwitches + 1]); client.print(F("$DATA$"));

for (int i = StartIndex; i < EndIndex; i++) {
                  client.print(fPges[i][PNr], 4);
                  client.print(F("$"));
                  if (i % 100 == 0) checkSerial1_for_KNX();
                }
                client.print(F("DATA"));
              }

break;
            }

default:
            {
              break;
            }

} //end e switch(Action)

ReadText[0] = 0;

}  //ENDE else if(ReadText[0]=='G' && ReadText[1]=='E' && ReadText[2]=='T')
    }    //end  if(client.available())

Serial.print(F("\t\tadditional Info rxed: "));

int addC = 0;
    while (client.available()) {
      char c = client.read(); Serial.print("0x"); Serial.print(c, HEX); Serial.print(" ");
      addC++;
    }

if (addC > 2) {
      Serial.print(" = Nr of Bytes:");
      Serial.print(addC);
    }  else {
      Serial.print(F(" = None"));
    }

#if defined (useClientClose)

if ( useClientClose_PC_Contact)
    {
      client.close(); Serial.print("\tclient.close done");
      byte SockNr = client.getSocketNumber(); Serial.print("  SNrP1:"); Serial.print(SockNr);
    }

#endif

client.stop(); Serial.print("\tclient.stop executed");  byte SockNr = client.getSocketNumber(); Serial.print("  SkNr@End:"); Serial.print(SockNr);

Serial.print(F("\tdt_ms: ")); Serial.println(millis() - t1);

if (ExtraLine) Serial.println();

}  //end   if(client)

} //End PCContact

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
byte AnalyseGet(char ReadText[])
{
  byte bReturn = 0;
  if (ReadText[3] == ' ' && ReadText[4] == '/') {
    if (ReadText[5] == 'f' && ReadText[6] == 'a' && ReadText[7] == 'v' && ReadText[8] == 'i' && ReadText[9] == 'c' && ReadText[10] == 'o' ) {
      bReturn = 99; //Favicon ignore
    } else if (ReadText[5] == 'P' && ReadText[6] == 'g' && ReadText[7] == 'E' && ReadText[8] == 's' && ReadText[9] == 'N') {
      bReturn = 20; //Messwerte der letzten Zeit senden
    }
  }
  return bReturn;
}

//============================================================================================================================================================================================================================

void checkSerial1_for_KNX()
{
  //this routine checks 9600baud KNX Bus on Serial1
}

Code:
// Run this on Arduino Mega
//
// https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/67612?p=282662&viewfull=1#post282662

#include <Wire.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <Ethernet.h>

byte mac[] = {0xA8, 0x61, 0x0A, 0xAE, 0x2A, 0x10};
IPAddress ip(192, 168, 2, 185);
IPAddress myDns(192, 168, 2, 1);

EthernetClient client;

IPAddress server(192, 168, 2, 11);

unsigned long lastConnectionTime = 0;           // last time you connected to the server, in milliseconds
const unsigned long postingInterval = 100;  // delay between updates, in milliseconds

int i = 1;

void setup()
{
  Ethernet.init(10);  // Most Arduino shields
  Serial.begin(115200);

Ethernet.begin(mac, ip, myDns);
  Serial.print("My IP address: ");
  Serial.println(Ethernet.localIP());

Ethernet.setRetransmissionCount(2);     //<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Ethernet.setRetransmissionTimeout(50);  //<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

delay(1000);
}

void loop()
{
  if (millis() - lastConnectionTime > postingInterval) {
    for (int i = 1; i < 10; i++) {
      Request(i);
      delay(10);
    }
  }
}

// --------------------------------------

void Request(int i)
{
  unsigned long t1 = millis();

if (client.connect(server, 9010)) {
    Serial.print("\nconnecting..."); Serial.print(i);

switch (i) {
      case 1: client.println("GET /PgEsN11"); break;
      case 2: client.println("GET /PgEsN22"); break;
      case 3: client.println("GET /PgEsN33"); break;
      case 4: client.println("GET /PgEsN44"); break;
      case 5: client.println("GET /PgEsN55"); break;
      case 6: client.println("GET /PgEsN66"); break;
      case 7: client.println("GET /PgEsN77"); break;
      case 8: client.println("GET /PgEsN88"); break;
      case 9: client.println("GET /PgEsN99"); break;
    }

client.println();

byte Wait = 0;
    while (client.available() < 10 && Wait < 25) {
      Wait++;
      delay(1);
    }

Serial.print("\tWait:"); Serial.print(Wait); Serial.print("  "); Serial.print("got so far: "); Serial.print(client.available()); Serial.print("  ");

if (client.available() == 0) {
      Wait = 0;
      while (client.available() < 10 && Wait < 25) {
        Wait++;
        delay(1);
      }
      Serial.print("\textra wait:"); Serial.print(Wait); Serial.print("  "); Serial.print("after 25ms: "); Serial.print(client.available());
    }

while (client.available()) {
      char c = client.read(); Serial.write(c);
    }
    Serial.print("\tdt_ms:"); Serial.println(millis() - t1);
    client.stop();
    lastConnectionTime = millis();
  } else {
    Serial.println("connection #"); Serial.print(i); Serial.println(" failed");
  }
}

I'm happy to say the new fault handler and CrashReport are working nicely. It does reboot and CrashReport give an address of the crash that's somewhere inside FNET/src/stack/fnet_tcp.c.

I've been looking into this NativeEthernet bug. Indeed the crash is happening deep within FNET. It's going to take some serious work to unravel to figure out what the actual cause really is.

Just to be realistic, this is very unlikely to get fixed in 1.54. So many other things are updated & improved, and it's been just over 1 year since 1.53 and Arduino 1.8.15 is now 7 weeks old. We really need to wrap up 1.54 now.

But I definitely will be diving into this problem in the coming weeks. It will get fixed, though a problem this complex isn't the sort of thing that (typically) gets solved quickly.

Here are trimmed copies of the code to reproduce the problem. I sped it up quite a lot, so it usually crashes in less than 1 minute.

I'm happy to say the new fault handler and CrashReport are working nicely. It does reboot and CrashReport give an address of the crash that's somewhere inside FNET/src/stack/fnet_tcp.c.

Just took a look at Connection timeout and reset problems with the WebServer example issue that was raised on Github for the library. @lasselukkari pointed out that he was able to work around it by:
I noticed that if I make the server to send bigger payloads the problem does not occur. Also if I use connection keep-alive header and do not close the socket there is no problems. So it seems that the problem is related to opening new connectiona repeatedly. Do you need some more information? For example if you want I can try to reproduce the problem with a programming language of your choice.

Just putting it here for reference for later. I did remember that I have an arduino ethernet shield that I can play with when I get done with a couple of other things.

Thanks Paul, I am looking forward to a solution, until then, I unfortunately need to put the T4.1 aside. For new users of T4.1's Ethernet capability - I still believe that feature makes the T4.1 so attractive for many, who had so few alternatives before - well, the T4.1 made me get on board the Teensy family after using Arduino's processors for many years - it would be helpful, if that issue is clearly marked until it is finally resolves. It would save many hours of frustration :)

Thanks too for @mjs513 pointing out @lasselukkari finding, which unfortunately cannot generally be applied, particularly when dealing with 3rd party Servers or Clients, one has no control over. In addition, while opening and closing connections at higher frequencies leads to a faster occurence of a fault, slowing simply down the frequency (within applicable means) does not resolve the issue. It only means the time between faults increases.

A suggestion:
As far as I know, FNET is used commercially too and may be used on hundreds of thousands of devices.
Butok, the author should be very interested in fixing it, or even getting a hint about it.
According to this page, he is an employee at NXP. He should be familiar with NXP hardware.

So I would suggest that someone who is familiar with the bug should contact him.
I am not familiar enough with Teensy implementation, and know too little about the bug.

Maybe you will get useful hints - even if the bug is not in FNET at all.

Edit:
Github: https://github.com/butok/FNET
Sourceforge: https://fnet.sourceforge.io/

Last edited:
For those that want to use this candidate in PlatformIO:
You can add this line to your platformio.ini:
Code:
platform_packages =
  framework-arduinoteensy@https://github.com/maxgerhardt/teensy-core-pio-package.git#1.54-beta12

Thanks to max Gerhardt for this service.

regards
Cor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back