Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: add ethernet to a micromod format teensy

add ethernet to a micromod format teensy

i have decided to switch the t4.1 in project to a micromod teensy.
    But i need ethernet for the project, to send and recive osc, and maybe artnet, i guess my only requirement is "no audible latency"

I feel like my options are:

-Use a spi ethernet ic on my carrier board like W5500
    (afraid this migth be less effective then using the DP83825, but i wont be sending huge amounts of data)

-create my own micromod(with the pjrc boot loader) or modifying the sparkfun board design with the "native" ethernet controller (DP83825)
    would i have to use the exact same pin connections as the T4.1? or is there a way to change which pins the ethernet controller connects to?
    This would of course make the micromod "non standard" and i would need to sacrifice a couple of other pins

-use the DP83825 on the carrier board somehow, could it be possible?

if read correctly ... PaulStoffregen made a note on Twitter about possible alternate pin usage ... would take code work and a custom carrier ???

Before making any "final" decisions, I would imagine the first step would be to actually measure the latency using a Teensy 4.1 and both native and w5500 ethernet.

And yes, here is the twitter message about possible RMII pins

https://twitter.com/DL7PNP/status/1411089448075501577

Here's that list as text (where we're not constrained by 280 chars)

Code:
     RMII	 NXP Pin	Schematic	M.2 Pin
     ----	 -------	---------	-------
     RX0	 SD_B0_03	34/DAT1		  66
     RX1	 SD_B0_04	38/DAT2		  68
     RXEN	 SD_B0_05	39/DAT3		  70
     RXER	 B1_00		AUD_IN/8	  54
     TX0	 B0_12		GPIO/32		  65
     TX1	 EMC_31		I2C_INT/29	  16
     TXEN	 EMC_32		GPIO/28/3.3V_EN    4
     CLK	 SD_B0_01	36/CLK		  60
     MDC	 B0_00		CS/10		  55
     MDIO	 B0_01		CIPO/12		  61

If all the pins are already available then making the required carrier board should be easy and as far as adding in the support to FNET that can easily be done with a couple edits to some defines to change the pins.

These pins bring out the RMII signals for ENET2, so the software side would also need to be adapted to use the other controller.

That is also easily changed with a define, luckily FNET is already setup to handle multiple ENETs if your processor is using more than one.

Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    i have decided to switch the t4.1 in project to a micromod teensy.
    But i need ethernet for the project, to send and recive osc, and maybe artnet, i guess my only requirement is "no audible latency"
    I am very interested in your project. I have been recently experimenting with our OSC Arduino library on Native Ethernet on Teensy 4.1 and it has been working well so far.

Let me know how I can help. I can certainly review and test any board you might make.

Are you planning to put audio on your carrier?
    I have been using a Tsynth for this but it isn't easy to combine a T4.1, ethernet kit connectors and the audio shield.

no audio. just lots of control signals (cv, midi, osc)
    ill see if i can get you the gerbers later, its quite specific pcb with some expensive parts...

I have marked the pins with a green dot to make it easier to see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmmethernet.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	25205
    As i need both spi and sd card on this carrier, are those pins also changeable with a define?

Im gonna design my next prototype with the MM t4 and the w5500, as i already have proto with t4.1 and Ethernet up and running. and test them side by side, or i might just buy the w5500 shield.
    The benchmark from here seems quite impressive https://www.pjrc.com/arduino-ethernet-library-2-0-0/ ,if im reading it right. If packets are sent with 0.1ms latency on a LAN its definitely good enough for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    As i need both spi and sd card on this carrier, are those pins also changeable with a define?
    RMII RX0 & RX1 are only available on those specific pins, so RMII and SDIO are an unresolvable conflict on MicroMod. If using RMII, any SD card needs to be connected by SPI rather than SDIO.

While the same is true for the 2 management pins and SPI, we could probably implement MDIO by bitbanging on any pins. Giving up the primary SPI port is pretty painful.