Controlling a Teensy from a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikCA

Hello,

Summer is here and I have a little robotic project in mind I'm looking for some guidance from more experienced people.

The core idea of the project is to make a little delta robot with servos and to control it from a program on а computer. In my mind, this means that somehow the Teensy needs to be able to send messages/commands to the pc as "updates" (e.g. "Servos moves to x degrees" or "Movement failed") and the computer also needs to be able to send commands/messages along the lines of "Move servo A to X degrees" etc..

What I'm struggling with is, what is the best way to accomplish this?
Do I have to try to make a USB device from the Teensy (for example the way a Webcam is a USB device) or can I just use serial on the Teensy and make a program on the computer that reads/sends data.

Thank you for taking your time to read this and I hope I've described what I want to do clearly, if there is anything confusing/not exact I'll try to rewrite it.

Serial USB should be a good start - assuming it is going to be tethered to the computer by a USB cable? With a Serial Monitor the commands and feedback can be tested and observed to work.

Then a computer program could take over the typing and feedback parsing chores. And if needed some alternate interface could be found.

Not noted what Version Teensy is at hand 3.x or 4.x? But for a little project any one with enough pins should work.

I have a Teensy 4.1 and yes, it will be tethered with a USB cable. I'll give it a shot with the serial monitor and for an interface, I guess that any language that supports serial should work (I'm thinking C# with some kind of GUI)

Certainly for a start during development working out the transfers as a first step alternating upload and trial test that would be the best start it seems.

Yes, C# can work - @luni on github has some sample code to enumerate the Teensy IIRC.

I'd use TyCommander for Serial monitor - it will upload and give reliable connection for the SerMon and has command history and easy to use Bootloader ( to halt execution ) and Restart button to begin again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back