Teensy 4.x future support on MCU and Cirrus Logic codec

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidyw

Hi,
I have been using Teensy 3.2 for previous projects but wanted a little more horse power,....so Teensy 4.x. However I noticed that the MCU has been EOL by NXP.
Is this going to have any significant impact on the product in the future, is there a path forward for this board?

Also, I am searching for various codecs that can integrate with the Teensy and I spotted the OSH Park board using the Cirrus Logic codec. Is it possible to use the Teensy 4.0 with this board? Would it be a major code change or just pin-out issues that would be faced in bringing these elements together?

All the best
Aidan

However I noticed that the MCU has been EOL by NXP.

All the info I have is it's still fully active. We still have plenty of Teensy 3.2 in stock and more materials are on order.

Where did you see an EOL notice? Can you give me a link?

Also, I am searching for various codecs that can integrate with the Teensy and I spotted the OSH Park board using the Cirrus Logic codec. Is it possible to use the Teensy 4.0 with this board?

Was it a board I published? I've published many, but most using Cirrus are usually CS42448.

Would it be a major code change or just pin-out issues that would be faced in bringing these elements together?

Well, guessing you're asking about CS42448, here's a version of that board updated for Teensy 4.

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/gVFy0fWQ

Oh, maybe this is the "A" version of the IMXRT1062 chip. Those have been replaced by a "B" version which fixes a couple errata. We're already using the B chips on Teensy 4.1, and Teensy 4.0 will switch over to the B chips later this summer.

I think he saw that it is flagged as not recommended for new designs which is different than going EOL.

I think perhaps I am overstating this and I apologise if that is excessive. Indeed "Not recommended for new designs. No discontinuance decision has been made" So bad sorry, however it just seems to be this particular variant, others in the same family seems normal. Okay I'm comfortable and again my apologies, I had no idea that min longevity was so long.

Thanks Paul,
That's really good news. I'm planning on trying to use the 'Faust' libraries with this codec and after experience with the T3.2, I'm pretty sure I will run out of steam with multiple algorithms running on multiple channels. But as usual you are already well ahead of my game.

I look forward to seeing what can be achieved.
Thanks again for the rapid reply and super useful info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back