Which Teensy for my Sampler Project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krischomat

Hey everyone! I am very new to this Forum and to Teensy. I came here because I have a project in mind that I want to realize with the Teensy. I already made a sampler with the Axoloti Core where you can record live input and then play it with a keyboard, change the playingposition and the loop length and those things. Since the Axoloti Core is not in stock for a long time now, and want to make another version of it, I thought to bring the project to a teensy. I already have some experiences with the arduino and also with making analog synthesizer.
Now I am wondering which teensy would be suitable for my project. My first thought was to do it on a teensy 4.1 plus the audio board but I am afraid I am loosing lots of analog inputs for controlling. My second thought was to use a teensy 3.x cause as I read it has a dac already and I just needed to add a adc myself, which I haven´t done before. There seems also to be a way to create more analog ins with a multiplexer IC which I did not understand fully.
What would you here recommend?

The Audioshield does not need so many pins.
The question is, how many analog inputs you need?

You said an inbuilt dac is good enough. I guess you know that you can not expect very high quality from a dac which is on the same silicon as a cpu.

So, a smaller alternative would be the PT8211 board (or chip)
But there high quality, easy to use dacs, too.

The Audioshield does not need so many pins.
The question is, how many analog inputs you need?

You said an inbuilt dac is good enough. I guess you know that you can not expect very high quality from a dac which is on the same silicon as a cpu.

So, a smaller alternative would be the PT8211 board (or chip)
But there high quality, easy to use dacs, too.

...but... don't you need a good adc, too?

This ? : axoloti.com/product/axoloti-core/

T_3.6 is similar and faster processor to that board - has USB host and the most pins and two onboard DAC's and has faster SD onboard with SDIO.

As Frank B notes - not all the Audio pins are needed if parts unused ( SPI ) - his other notes are good too.

The T_4.1 is much faster - more onboard RAM at 1MB total - no DAC's - but same good SD and USB_Host and many pins. Also pads on bottom for fast QSPI 4 bit RAM or FLASH storage.

Okay, thanks for your replies. And yes that is the Axoloti board. I just ordered a teensy 4.1 with the audio board... My Axoloti project uses around 16 potentiometers but I don´t know if I can actually realize it one to one on a teensy since the graphic programming made it a bit more easy for me. So the Audio Board won´t use all of the GPIOs that it is connected to?

The pjrc.com site for the REV D Audio board the T_4.1 needs shows the required pins for given functions.

It will use the i2c pins to start the audio chip. But the SPI pins for SD card and memory pads won't be needed when using the T_4.1 and would remain available. Also the vol pot or other misc listed there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back