Teensy 4.1 + Audio Shield, two or three PSRAM chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimitre

Hello, I'm mounting a Teensy 4.1 + Audio Shield and soldered two PSRAM chips into the Teensy.
I was thinking of soldering another one in the Audio Shield memory slot but I suppose it is not easy to use together with the Teensy 4.1 slots (EXTMEM)

Is it possible to use the three together as one memory?
Thanks

Is it possible to use the three together as one memory?

No, definitely not.

There is currently no support at all for 8MB PSRAM on the audio shield. Even if it were added, RAM performance over single bit SPI is slow and doesn't work as normal memory like EXTMEM, so it's pretty unlikely anyone will bother to write that code. The code which exists for RAM on the audio shield uses older RAM chips meant for use with the much older Teensy models (like Teensy 3.0) which had very little RAM. Even then, it only supports simple delay, and incurs a lot of overhead to do so.

Just use 2 PSRAM on the bottom side of Teensy 4.1. No practical way exists to use a 3rd PSRAM chip.

With Teensy 4.0 & 4.1, the only type of chip which makes sense to add on the audio shield is SPI flash.

Everything working here!
one more doubt here about memory size.
I'm using two chips, 16Mbytes total.

Does it reflect in 16000000 total usable bytes? or less?
In this case I suppose it reflects in an array of int16_t with the size of 8000000 right?

Is this a good way of dividing the available memory in three delay lines?
Code:
#define TOTAL_PSRAM 8000000  
#define SLICERLINE_LEN TOTAL_PSRAM / 3  
EXTMEM int16_t delay_line[3][SLICERLINE_LEN] = {};

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back