Support for Teensy within Mbed RTOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidyw

Hi,
I have asked a similar question in the past and would like to clarify what is the current situation. I have developed in the past using Mbed online IDE where support was and still is available for the Teensy 3 platform. Mbed have now released a stand alone IDE (Mbed Studio), to complement the online option and I noticed that the Teensy 3.1 is still listed in the target platforms. However when an attempt is made to compile it does not work and instead lists a long list of supported platforms.

I realise that supporting alternative platforms is a time consuming business but before I abandon Mbed, or instead choose an alternative hardware vendor, I wanted to ask if you would consider again support for Teensy within this eco-system. In particular Teensy 4, which would stand out still as an extremely powerful platform within those available.

Due to the nature of the IDE; the ease with which source code elements (libraries) can be browsed, debugging and version control as well as the extensive support for real time features, I would prefer to continue to develop using Mbed Studio. When this is combined with my own libraries which I developed in Mbed I have a strong attraction to this environment. Having said this I am very reluctant to leave behind the Teensy hardware. It is exceptional and I have had nothing but good experiences with it. I am happy to have available a solution with little frills but all the horse-power that the NXP chipsets offer, not forgetting the enviable compact nature of the hardware solution that can be squeezed very effectively into most space constrained environments.

I find myself at an impasse, .... my experience with Arduino, though limited does not feel anywhere near as comfortable as that of Mbed.

Is there any possibility that Teensy may be revived within Mbed and in particular the new Mbed Studio IDE.

All the best
Aidan

Sorry, I know very little about MBed (read that nothing).
But there are many options out there. Which approach you use will obviously depend on your needs.
I still work with the Arduino IDE, as most of the stuff I do is simply to play with and hopefully help build some libraries and support that others might find useful.
As such I want my code to be compatible with the standard, which in this case is Arduino IDE...

However most of the time I don't work in the IDE. Instead I typically work within Sublime Text IDE, where I have setup to use sum scripts and the like that were setup by user here: defragster and Frank B.
With these I can setup sublime-text projects which includes all of the directories I wish to edit in... and then setup a build to be configured for which Teensy I am using and the different options. And then when I tell it to build it will use the same build setup as Arduino does.

Others have gone to using Platform IO. I have a version of that setup as well which I have not tried much of. Also have it setup within SublimeText with an add on called Deviot

Then there is Visual Studio...

Also another member created VisualTeensy based on Visual Code.

More details on some of these up on an unofficial WIKI: https://github.com/TeensyUser/doc/wiki

But if you are asking more about how to use the RTOS with it... Than hopefully others can help out.

Good luck, sorry I know I did not give much of an answer here.

It's a shame that so many groups are duplicating effort. There needs to be more consolidation - so efforts are combined. ArduinoCore-mbed (Arduino on top of Mbed) might be a good API option.

RTOS is similar - FreeRTOS, Mbed RTOS, Zephyr, etc?

Thanks, your suggestions are appreciated. I took a look at the various editors you mentioned, and I'm still making a decision about which way I might turn.
In fact I have been trying to get the Teensy 3.2 up and running in Mbed Studio. Requires a whole new set of drivers, which I have not yet fully reworked, but simply trying to get some simple code running by ensuring the drivers at least contain the expected functions.
Also having trouble with the MK20DX256 scatter file, which from Mbed's perspective is outdated as it contains no information about stack and heap locations, which from what I can understand is required for the multi-threading aspects of Mbed RTOS. Having said this Mbed offer the choice to build 'baremetal' which in fact avoids building much of the RTOS functionality. Essentially accepting a custom solution IRQ driven scheduler.
Anyway, no luck yet, the support for Teensy is totally out of date and much of the original Mbed architecture has been so heavily re-worked since Mbed v2.0 that its a long way from functional.
I have successfully compiled using Mbed Studio, but cant seem to get even a 'blinky' to run as expected. No real clue as to what is going where and no way to debug. I scratch my head a bit more....lets see.

What I find most amusing is that within the Mbed documentation they describe how to integrate 'custom targets', the irony being that throughout these examples and code snippets, they are using 'Teensy' as an example custom target. ;)

They obviously wish that Teensy where still part of the family. However it seems Teensy is now only interested in 'La famiglia' - Arduino. If this is 'the standard' is I suspect up for debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back