Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: multiplexing, analog signal, and bit resolution

multiplexing, analog signal, and bit resolution

hi -

my current understanding is that the previous generation of teensy has a 13-bit ADC. i'm not what the current ADC for the teensy 4.1 is, but reading the PJRC documentation (https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy41.html), it sounds like it only reaches 12-bit - and generally-speaking, really only can handle 10-bit.

is that accurate? a little bit more information on this, if anyone knows - would be greatly helpful.

anyway, i recently ordered some 4051 chips to experiment with multiplexing analog signals. one other thing i was unclear about is: is it possible to use > 10-bit resolution for multiplexed signals or does it reduce the overall resolution?

thanks!

ADCs on the same die as a microcontroller have to be a compromize, due to the large amounts of noise present
    on the chip - little point trying to get, say, 16 bit resolution in that situation...

Analog multiplexers can add some non-linearity due to load impedance (not usually an issue with an ADC),
    but don't affect resolution.

hi -

i'm still a little unclear on my question. is there anywhere that specifically explains what the ADC bit depth is for each teensy model and what the actual "expected" resolution would be?

i understand there is no 16-bit resolution for a teensy... but can i expect to get faithful 12-bit resolution for a 12-bit ADC?

@Kiimes:
    Look up ENOB (Effective Number Of Bits).

Regards,
    Ed

Also note that you can usually over-sample - which improves performance.