Any other way to add more ram besides QSPI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atok

Hi all,

I'm looking for some guidance on my project. I'm building a sample player: playing wav files from SD card. Audio library has been amazing and a lot of elements is working smoothly. The only thing that worries me is a seemingly hard limit on the size of the samples loaded into memory. Currently I'm working with two PSRAM chips. My strategy is to play 2 longer samples (at a time) directly from the SD card and the rest from RAM.

Is there anything I can potentially do to give Teensy more memory to play samples from?

I've seen some devices claim to have "unlimited" sample memory (or limited by the size of the SD card) but I have no idea how something like this can be achieved.

I'm not sure if what I'm trying to do will help, but an update. One of my projects is helping a high school build a data logger for a race car. Sometimes the sd card skips a beat--I'm guessing from all the jolts of the rough roads. I'm experimenting with adding a non-volatile chip and and modify the SdFat lib to talk to the external chip as opposed to the SD card so I can create files, and such

Phase 1 is just getting a chip to work and I've been unsuccessful in adding and external memory chip using the SPI bus, writing 4 to address 0 just isn't working. I think I've actually ruined my chip, so 4 more are due to arrive soon. If I can get them to work I'll surely share my work.

Phase 2: in the meantime I was looking at the SdFat lib to see if I could make some changes to write to the chip as opposed to the card--even evaluating the code is out of my skill set.

Sometimes this stuff is easy, sometimes it requires a bank of EE's and seasoned coders.

Hi Kris

You could use LittleFS with SPI FLASH. Although seems there are issues with speed. The NAND chips seem to be faster. We have tested the NAND and NOR chips over SPI and they do work. Its probably easier than trying to use SDFat directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back