Teensy 4.1 snooze library ... resets

CorBee

Hi,

For the TeensyBatdetector I am currently implementing a simple way to allow users to put the device somewhere ready to record (autorecording) ultrasounds at night without a need to look
after the device. The device is programmed with a wakeup and a sleep moment and during the sleep I want to use the snooze library.
I have allready added and tested this to the code for a Teensy 3.6 and it works fine. But for the T4.1 I do not seem to be able to get the sleep routine to recover without simply resetting.

I cant share the full code as this is part of a larger project but I followed the main guidelines:

Code:
#include "Snooze.h"
uint16_t timerWakeup_counter = 0; //keep track of the no of wakeups
SnoozeTimer timer;
SnoozeUSBSerial usb;

#if defined(__IMXRT1062__)
SnoozeBlock config_teensy41(usb, timer);
#elif defined(__MK66FX1M0__)
SnoozeBlock config_teensy36(usb, timer);
#endif

then in setup
Code:
  timer.setTimer(10);// seconds on T4.1
  //alarm.setRtcTimer(0, 0, 5);
  timer.setTimer(5000);// milliseconds on T3.6
#endif

and finally in the loop
Code:
      who = Snooze.deepSleep(config_teensy41);// return module that woke processor
      who = Snooze.sleep(config_teensy36);// return module that woke processor
    #endif
delay(100); // start with a minor delay after wakeup to keep the USB-powerpack "alive"

In the T3.6 this works, on the T4.1 it fails ... and its very unclear where it fails ...
Any help/guidance is appreciated, the snooze library seems the only public library to make this kind of thing "reasonably" simple.

kind regards
Cor

Yes, for the T4.1 the wake-up method from DeepSleep is reset.
The Library does not seem to be supported any more. I have asked info about the library a number of times without any response.

Ah ... I see my code still shows deepsleep ... my bad. But I have tried the same with sleep and this also fails. When I use the demo-code (sleep_usb_serial.ino) from the
library that does work as planned. But I have the feeling the library is not taking all the options a T4.1 can be using into account or so. Very unclear what causes the reset.
But its the "default" when I use sleep or deepsleep, and on the T3.6 this does work predicatable.
Unfortunately for us the author probably has more important things to attend to, and still I appreciate the work he has done allready !

Cor

I inspected the hal.c file inside the Teensy40 directory in the snooze library and this line is used on the top of
Code:
int hal_sleep(void)
SCB_SCR = SCB_SCR_SLEEPDEEP;
That measn the System Control Register is set to deepsleep instead of sleep and I wonder if that has anything to do with the problems I am experiencing.
The code in this library isnt very easy to understand as it contains many registers and combinations of "| & and ~" to set bits in several registers. Some of them
are filled with values that I have trouble tracing back to the origins.
For instance just before the system issues the WAITFORINTERRUPT (wfi) I see:
Code:
IOMUXC_GPR_GPR8 = 0xaaaaaaaa;
    IOMUXC_GPR_GPR12 = 0x0000002a
The AN12085 document states
Code:
[I]Before entering low power mode:[/I]
IOMUXC_GPR->GPR8 = 0xaaaaaaaa;
IOMUXC_GPR->GPR12 = 0x0000000a;
[I]After wake-up:[/I]
IOMUXC_GPR->GPR8 = 0x00000000;
IOMUXC_GPR->GPR12 = 0x00000000;

Again unclear why ...

Nice work from you as that is important for users. But in my case I allready have a 100ms wait after the system should recover from sleep. Thats more than enough as your timings are closer to a few ms. We are running the batdetectors from USB-powerpacks and they need a bit of load. So the timer is not programmed for long sleeps and after it comes back from sleep we wait a bit to keep the powerpack active. And this all works fine on a T3.6 but on a T4.1 things are very different and I have trouble understanding the code even with the application notes for this processor at hand.
But it seems this feature is a bit of a niche as not too many people seem to be letting their devices sleep. In the end we might have to fall back to additional hardware to achieve this.

Yes, I was going to use T4.0 for my satellite stations, but have had to fall back to T3.2 or even LC.

I am willing to spend time improving this library but its difficult without a clear guidance that I can follow. The application notes of NXP are quite abstract and do not explain in detail what should be set exactly. Most stuff is then becoming a hit and miss operation without a single debug-bit possible ... it goes to sleep (it always does) but does not seem to return in an expected fashion ... but how to trace what was wrong ?

Done a bit more work on the possible issues. I now have the T4.1 running on sleep but with partial functionality. All functionality that uses storage in PSRAM had to be switched off, the TFT has to be switched off after sleep.

@CorBee what modifications did you make to get Snooze to work on the T4.1?
Do you have a fork of the original library with the mods that is public?

Back