Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Temperature rating?

Temperature rating?

I couldn't find anywhere on the website what the operating temperature specifications for a Teensy 3.2 broad were - does anyone know if the board has an industrial rating of -40C ~ 85C?

Cheers,

Thierry

I'd worry about the crystal not the MCU.

I'd be pretty confident that Paul would not have gone to the significant extra cost + supply chain hassle to get all the parts qualified to an extended range, and then not tell anyone about it :-). At temperature extremes, some capacitors don't do well, meaning you could have a regulator start oscillating for example (just speculation). I think, if you need extended range you should design your own board and source all your parts qualified to that range.

Actually, I believe all the parts are indeed rated for -40 to +85 degrees centigrade on Teensy LC & 3.2. Before updating the website, I'd really feel better if I reviewed them all carefully.

But I did look at this a few years ago and the crystal was the only part holding us back from the wider range. The crystal we used on Teensy 3.0 & 3.1, and still use on Teensy 2.0 has a narrower temperature range.

Of course, Teensy does have some small self heating due to internal power dissipation. This varies depending on the clock speed, and which peripheral are enabled, and by whether the I/O pins are toggling rapidly and driving longer lines or other capacitive or resistive loads. As with all electronics, the self heating varies considerably depending on available air flow. The maximum usable temperature will be somewhat less than 85C, depending mostly on the surrounding environment.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the information. It looks like it might be possible to consider running the boards at somewhat extended temperatures - keeping in mind the the xtal might have issues.

If you could confirm that all of the parts you have chosen for your design have the proper rating, that would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, I'm going to throw one our units in a chamber and see how it works.

Cheers

If anyone is interested, we are now using our Teensy 3.2 boards at extreme Canadian temperatures. The XTAL was definitely the week point on the board. We simply remove it and replace it with an updated part with better temp specifications. A number of units are been running in northern Alberta for almost 8 months - will be going through their first true winter in the next couple of months. FYI, the boards are not on by default and therefore will be started cold. Temperature chamber tests didn't show any issues after changing out the XTAL.

Thank for reporting back- since you've gone to the trouble, I'm curious what temperature range you tested, you went down to -40 C ?

We ran the prototypes down to -50C in our chamber - the crystal is rated from -40C to +85C. The real test will be this winter where the units will be exposed to full time temperature swings and long term soaks at low temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry_C View Post
    We ran the prototypes down to -50C in our chamber - the crystal is rated from -40C to +85C. The real test will be this winter where the units will be exposed to full time temperature swings and long term soaks at low temperatures.
    Can I ask what crystal you changed it out with?

Hello,

Just wondering how the teensy survived in the wild?
    I'm planning to make a sound installation that will be installed outdoors in Helsinki. It uses the teensy 4.0 and audio board. I'm expecting maybe a week of -30C max if it's a good winter. Trying to gauge if the teensy will make it!

If in doubt, you can install a heater (just a resistor that disspipates some heat) and a good insulation, and make sure it is dry inside the case.
    The T4 disspiates some heat, too.

I know of a user who uses Teensies outside, in Alaska. Can't remember if he uses a heater.. i think not (and I can't remember who it was :-( )

Edit: Arctic_Eddie ? not sure.