Teensy 3.6 + Audio Board stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben J

Hi All,

in the past couple of days I had some funny sounding glitches with my Teensy 3.6 + Audio Board and today they have gone completely silent. As a basic test, I am running the ToneSweep example and can't hear any sound. I have been using this combination for quite some time without any issues - only in the past few days the output of default waveforms sounded somewhat distorted.

I order to make sure the audio board is working, I connected it to my Teensy 3.2 and there everything is working as expected. On the Teensy 3.6, I noticed that some of the solder joints were surrounded by some sort of white stains. Could those be responsible for the sound issues?

IMG_4897.jpg

IMG_4896.jpg

IMG_4898.jpg

Yup, the pin 8,9,10,11 do not look good to - quite possible there is a bad contact. Or, it's just the photo.

I’ve used 63/37 leaded solder to attach the headers. Do you have any recommendations on how to remove those stains or to put it differently, can the Teensy be saved?

What was the flux though? If that's acid flux you need to wash it off pronto with distilled water, then finish with a PCB cleaner or IPA.
Electronics requires rosin flux to prevent corrosion damage over time.

What was the flux though? If that's acid flux you need to wash it off pronto with distilled water, then finish with a PCB cleaner or IPA.
Electronics requires rosin flux to prevent corrosion damage over time.

I have not used any flux when soldering the header pins.

Well that white deposit came from something. You absolutely need flux to solder successfully, BTW. Perhaps you had rosin-cored solder without realizing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back