Buying Teensy at Micro Center in 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulStoffregen

Are you near a Micro Center store? Do they have Teensy in stock and displayed on a wall or shelf? Are all or only some Teensy models in stock? How are their prices compared the online? Which other maker boards are nearby?

Just curious how the Teensy experience is at Micro Center lately?

Are you near a Micro Center store? Do they have Teensy in stock and displayed on a wall or shelf? Are all or only some Teensy models in stock? How are their prices compared the online? Which other maker boards are nearby?

Just curious how the Teensy experience is at Micro Center lately?

I haven't been to Micro Center in a few months, mostly due to medical issues.

In the past in the Cambridge Massachusetts MicroCenter, there is generally one aisle (2 parallel shelves facing each other) that has the various maker boards and accessories (plus two other areas that have soldering stuff and random stuff). In general, while there is a lot of variety, it can be hard to find things. Like every store, they seem to rotate where things are every couple of months. Generally, all of the Teensies are grouped together, including the Teensy 2.0/2.0+'s. IIRC, they were last in the middle row of the shelf (i.e. not on the bottom shelf that appears to often just strewn about). Their prices are fairly reasonable ($19.99 for the 3.2 and 4.0, $25.99 for the 4.1, $24.99 for the 3.5, $11.49 for the LC, and $29.99 for the 3.6). Obviously, the Massachusetts sales tax (8.75%) will be added.

They do sell out from time to time. I don't think they have a complete spread of all of the Teensys for the last 2 years or so available for sale at once. None of the boards come with pins soldered in. I can see the pinout card in the display (it makes it easier to find than the Adafruit boards which are just wrapped in foam, with a label attached).

Typically the Adafruit boards are there as a mismash in the same area (Feathers, Circuit Playgrounds, Gemmas, ItsyBitsy, etc.). Sparkfun hasn't been in the store in while if memory serves. There are various Arduino clones, but no true Arduinos if memory serves. They do have various PI cases and add-ons in the area (typically the microprocessor PIs have their own little area at the end of the shelves).

I don't recall the audio shields, prop shields, smart matrix shields, or the octoshield being there. I dimly recall seeing the various shields a few years ago. They usually have the Adafruit feather adapter.

At the moment, the web site says that they have 1 Teensy 2.0, 3 Teensy LC's, and 3 Teensy Feather adapters. They list the Teensy 2.0++, 3.2, 3.5, 3.6, 4.0, and 4.1 as being sold out.

I have had the experience that their web site indicated they had a part (not a Teensy, but a Feather INA219 that I connected with the feather adapter), and I had them reserve the part before I made the hour trek into the store. Neither the salesfolk or I could find the board.

After Microcenter in Denver Colorado not having any PJRC products for a while, 6 months - a year?

Suddenly last week they have a few teensy 3.6 and 3.2

Hope that helps

I know this is an old thread, but I finally got to Microcenter in Cambridge, Massachusetts this last weekend.

Their wall of microprocessors was even more chaotic than it was in the past, with little organization. At least the Teensys stood out more than the random Adafruit products, because of the pinout card displayed in the bag, and a lot of the Adafruit products were wrapped in pink bubblewrap rather than a bag, making it hard to find something specific.

There were 3 collections of Teensy bags. The first had Teensy 3.2s, the second had Teensy 3.5 and 3.6's mixed together, and the third had Teensy 3.2s and LCs mixed together. I don't recall seeing any Teensy 2.0/2.0+ or 4.0/41.'s.
2021-10-30-12-27-011-electronics.jpg
2021-10-30-12-32-012-electronics.jpg

That is a lot of products to display and to stock

Yes, and the MA Microcenter used to spread the products over a wall and 1-2 shelves, and most of it has been moved to just the wall, freeing up the shelves for other things. But the problem is there is no real organization, and often times different versions of the product (i.e. Teensy 3.2 vs. LC, Teensy 3.5 vs. 3.6, or Adafruit Hallowing M0 vs. M4 were the ones I noticed) are on the same rack. Basically if you are looking for something specific, you have to go over the entire wall and look at every item.

I'll have to see next time I'm at the one in Sharonville Ohio. Worked there from 1999-2007 in the service department.

Usually the area with all the microcontrollers and such is pretty well layed out and clean.

I did remember seeing Teensy 3.2's nicely on the rack, only model that I can remember standing out to me, as its been a few weeks since I was last out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back