Teensy 4.0 video games

Stamper321

Hi. My first post.
I was wondering if anyone else is making video games on the teensy 4.0 or 4.1
With the introduction of the excellent vga t4 project it would make game creation possible.
For myself, I'm attempting to recreate ROBOTRON, the manic shooting game by Williams. It would be really interesting to hear of game projects in the making.

Yup, and the most difficult (at least for me) is when it comes to sound for games. The old console chips can be emulated, too (or just play a mp3 converted to a raw file).

But right.. it's somehow a shame to use all the CPU power to emulate old machines. On the other hand, you'll get thousands of already working games.
Hey, I played Doom on a teensy, too. Quite fast! - faster (if I remember correctly) than my old PC where I used to play it, ages ago...

How powerful it would be without emulation? A game (or at least graphics demo) for T4 would be fantastic. There is a demo for the older teensies in the ili9341_t3 library folder.

Here is a nice gfx lib: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/66070-tgx-a-2D-3D-graphics-library-for-Teensy

If I think of the C64 or AMIGA demos... what was possible with !1!MHz and 64kB RAM on a 8 Bit C64 was really fantasic. SO... what's possible with 600x (*32 Bit) the power of a c64? :)

This one works on the Teensy 3.6 c64 emulator (incl. sound), too: https://c64.ch/productions/993/Delirious_9
I know, today this looks pretty lame. But try that with 1 MHz on a 8 Bit CPU.

Last edited:
Together with a friend we build a Tennsy based replacement PCB that fits without changes into the original arcade cabinet. The Tennsy runs an custom emulation that is able to drive the vector monitor 100% like the original PCB with ultra low latency for inputs and audio as bonus.

Attachments

• 235923501_1034313897107871_870992031448944515_n.jpg
    235923501_1034313897107871_870992031448944515_n.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 85
Thanks Paul. Emulators are really fun, but I was looking for teensy ported games from the arcades. Some time ago I created a pretty faithful copy of space invaders on the teensy 4.0, with my own vga engine, and as Frank points out, creating sound is a challenge!
I have rewritten my vga handler, with assembler code doing all the dirty work. I'm focused on a robotron port, only because it was such a manic game, on such a slow processor, running at 600mhz has got to be something worth seeing!.. When I can stabilise the display, I shall post some pictures.

Back