Arduino 1.8.16

Are there any changes worth mentioning?

Unless you're using one of Arduino's boards with a Wifi module, nope, probably not anything noteworthy.

Only days after 1.8.15 they fixed a rare but serious bug where the IDE couldn't start up if a 3rd party package file had certain types of errors. Those bugs are painful because even reinstalling Arduino doesn't help... the user has to dive into the hidden config folder and delete the bad config file before the IDE can start up again. I had delayed releasing 1.54 for a few weeks, in anticipation that fix would have prompted 1.8.16 release, as the 1.8.15 release came only days after 1.8.14 due to a similar bug. But if seems they didn't want to have 3 releases in a row? Or maybe whatever wrong file someone published got fixed before a large number of people were impacted?

But I haven't actually built their latest and started using it yet. Been working these last couple days to port the new code security stuff to MacOS, so I can build 1.55-beta2 for all systems.

Finally got communication with a locked chip working on MacOS today. Had encryption, detection of 1.07 & public key hash, parsing ehex and pretty much everything else working for the last couple days, but got stuck on this one last piece.

If I manage to make progress today or tomorrow on the remaining code security UI bugs, might package up 1.55-beta2 before Arduino 1.8.16 drops, since we also have the recent redesign of the File base class. There's no guarantee Arduino really will publish 1.8.16 on Monday, Sept 6 - it's just a github commit to their changelog at this point.

Hopefully we can wrap up 1.55 quickly and with a little luck Arduino will remain on 1.8.16 for a while, allowing time for adding ambitious features in 1.56.

As Frank said that is good news. Hopefully - Arduino will cooperate and give you some additional time beyond the 6th :)

Back