Voice-to-MIDI Converter: Beat boxing! (with BlackAddr TGA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty cool! I can't wait to browse through your code to see how this works. I'm wondering how hard this would be to modify and detect actual notes, to play the synth (as you mention in your blog).

Pretty cool! I can't wait to browse through your code to see how this works. I'm wondering how hard this would be to modify and detect actual notes, to play the synth (as you mention in your blog).

The trick with detecting the actual note that I might sing is that the frequency resolution of the detector needs to be way WAY higher.

For detecting which drum sound I was beatboxing, I use just three filters and they are super wide...three was no need for sharp frequency resolution. But, for detecting the pitch of your singing, you'd need a resolution of at least 1/12th of an octave. Using any classic frequency detection method (FFT or a time-domain filterbank), having something with higher frequency resolution results in a system that responds more slowly. So, there would be noticeable delay in how the synth responds to your voice. If you're doing up-tempo music, this would likely be fatal. But, if you're doing ambient synthy stuff, it could be no problem at all.

Hmm. I forgot about ambient synthy stuff. That could be a perfect application for this kind of thing. Yeah, not every synth performance needs to be a noodly prog solo, right?!? Maybe we do need some sorta-organic, sorta-artificial, voice-driven ambient synth washes!

While that's not typically my thing, I'm kinda excited to give it a try. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back