Beginner question: do I need to solder the audio shield to the Teensy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VND

Hi Guy's! I'm sorry, very beginner question. I have a Teensy 4.1 (with soldered pins) and an Audio Shield for Teensy 4.0. I've placed them both on my breadboard - the audio shield below the teensy itself. I made sure all the pins are alligned. However, I did not solder them together. Will this work? I'm not sure if all the pins will connect properly.
I Did not solder it because it's my first time working with a Teensy - I need to do some testing first ;). The only experience I have is working with my Arduino!

Have a look at the image here: https://ibb.co/g7mzJnF

I'm now trying to get my first sound out of it, but it's not working. I Don't know if its the code or the connection.

Code:
#include <Audio.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <SD.h>
#include <SerialFlash.h>

// GUItool: begin automatically generated code
AudioSynthWaveform       waveform1;      //xy=404.00000762939453,310.00000953674316
AudioOutputI2S           i2s1;           //xy=665.0000152587891,308.00000953674316
AudioConnection          patchCord1(waveform1, 0, i2s1, 0);
AudioConnection          patchCord2(waveform1, 0, i2s1, 1);
AudioControlSGTL5000     sgtl5000_1;     //xy=520.0000114440918,531.0000114440918
// GUItool: end automatically generated code

void setup() {
  AudioMemory(20);
  sgtl5000_1.enable();
  sgtl5000_1.volume(0.32);
  waveform1.begin(WAVEFORM_SAWTOOTH);
  waveform1.amplitude(0.75);
  waveform1.frequency(50);
  waveform1.pulseWidth(0.15);
}

void loop() {
  for (int freq = 50; freq <= 500; freq++) {
    waveform1.frequency(freq);
    delay(10);
  }
}

Thank you in advance for your reply! I'm trying to create a thing that can record my voice, save it to the (onboard) SD-card and play it again ;).

Last edited:
No you don't need to solder them together - you can use female headers on the shield so the Teensy can plug into the shield for instance,
or use male headers on both and connect via a breadboard and jumpers (although that's clunky).

However, I did not solder them together. Will this work?

No. It does not work as shown in your photo.

I would agree with Mark's suggestion to solder these sockets to the audio shield. Then you can easily take them apart if needed.

Just soldering both to the same pins is fine too. But do make sure you have at least some clearance between the parts on both board. We've had several reports where the boards were too close, so parts on the top of the audio shield touched parts on the bottom side of Teensy 4.0 or 4.1. If you avoid that, it should work. Of course with both soldered to the same pins, troubleshooting is a lot harder if anything goes wrong.

No. It does not work as shown in your photo.

I would agree with Mark's suggestion to solder these sockets to the audio shield. Then you can easily take them apart if needed.

Just soldering both to the same pins is fine too. But do make sure you have at least some clearance between the parts on both board. We've had several reports where the boards were too close, so parts on the top of the audio shield touched parts on the bottom side of Teensy 4.0 or 4.1. If you avoid that, it should work. Of course with both soldered to the same pins, troubleshooting is a lot harder if anything goes wrong.

Thank you very much Paul! Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back