understanding current consumption on the teensy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the teensy 4.0 as a flight controller on a quadcopter. i have a radio receiver, MPU-6050, and four motors that are being PWM controller and I plan to add a temperature sensor. bluetooth module and 4 ultrasonic sensors later. I wanna know if I can connect 3 regular LEDs using the digital pins of the teensy and a current limiting resistors in series.

All these electronics are being powered by a 5V 3A power source from the drone, and so then the LEDs' 40mA current is trivial. but everything shares a common power source, so is it possible to control 3 LEDs while the teensy is receiving 5V 3A but also working with other electronics?

I believe I heard the total current on a pin is 40mA, so does that mean I can 1.2A of powering from the teensy? (40mA x 30 pins). I think the max I heard was 200 or so mA

The pins definitely can't source or sink 40 mA. If you have high power LEDs (most standard LEDs are 20 mA max), you'll need to have the Teensy pin turn on a transistor or other circuitry which can provide so much current.

The pins definitely can't source or sink 40 mA. If you have high power LEDs (most standard LEDs are 20 mA max), you'll need to have the Teensy pin turn on a transistor or other circuitry which can provide so much current.

i plan to just use a standard 20mA LED. so i don't need a transistor right? i just thought the current limit for the teensy adds up, so if i have 20 pins each powering a 20mA LED, the 400mA would kill the teensy?

I'm afraid you have an error in your calculations.
If you look at the data on the PJRC site regarding teensy 4.0 than the max recommended current on a i/o pin is 4mA and not 40mA.

Further is there a max current on the device which should be divided through all the pins which you will use

Going over either limit would probably kill one or more of the pins or the teensy 4 itself. Using a driver should prevent this.

Regards.

Last edited:
> connect 3 regular LEDs

Of course application matters, but I have found 1mA to be plenty bright for generic indicator LEDs.

I'm afraid you have an error in your calculations.
If you look at the data on the PJRC site regarding teensy 4.0 than the max recommended current on a i/o pin is 4mA and not 40mA.

Further is there a max current on the device which should be divided through all the pins which you will use

Going over either limit would probably kill one or more of the pins or the teensy 4 itself. Using a driver should prevent this.

Regards.
Teensy' Tech Spec
The above table from the PJRC web site lists the allowable current as 10mA per pin.
Are you saying this is wrong?

@Paul which is correct 10mA or 4mA?
One or other of those pages needs changing, or a clarification made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back