Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Multiple tasking on Teensy/Arduino

Multiple tasking on Teensy/Arduino

Hello,

I would like to perform two tasks in parallel. One of them takes some time to be completed and thus the other one is performed once the first one is completed.

There are multithreading topics mostly for arduino but since Teensy is a more powerful uC I thought there can be better options. I' m still seeking for a solution and If you have suggestions that would be great. Also I attached a simplified version of the code behaves the same.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

MTN.ino

Which way is best for you depends on how you like to write code and the details of the sort of program you wish to create.

Unfortunately there is no really beautiful mutlitasking system. Those which do exist come quite a few caveats. Many existing Arduino libraries aren't fully reentrant or thread safe, so even if you find a system you really like, which libraries you will use can also play a factor.

From the code sample, you would probably want to change this into a state machine using millis() or elapsedMillis to replace the delay() functions.

Code:
      //-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      // Task 1  
      digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
      delay(500);
      digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
      delay(500);
    Whether writing all your code as state machines without delay() is right for you, I can't say. But unless you *really* don't want to go that route, I'd suggest at least starting in that direction if you plan to use Arduino libraries. It gets the best compatibility with most existing code.

Non-preemptive threads avoid state machine coding and most of the compatibility problems. Unfortunately, that isn't an option in the above library.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    Which way is best for you depends on how you like to write code and the details of the sort of program you wish to create.

Unfortunately there is no really beautiful mutlitasking system. Those which do exist come quite a few caveats. Many existing Arduino libraries aren't fully reentrant or thread safe, so even if you find a system you really like, which libraries you will use can also play a factor.

From the code sample, you would probably want to change this into a state machine using millis() or elapsedMillis to replace the delay() functions.

Code:
      //-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      // Task 1  
      digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
      delay(500);
      digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
      delay(500);
    Whether writing all your code as state machines without delay() is right for you, I can't say. But unless you *really* don't want to go that route, I'd suggest at least starting in that direction if you plan to use Arduino libraries. It gets the best compatibility with most existing code.

Dear Paul,
    I tried using milis() method but didnot solved the problem. Here the "motor.runSpeed()" method of "AccelStepper" library doesn' t want to be interrupted. Any delay makes the stepper behave like jumping. So I need to keep it work as a background task but also I need control on it. Thus, there is a "motorRunning" check variable.

Can you show your code for your milis() method.

Quote Originally Posted by WMXZ View Post
    Dear WMXZ,

I tried to apply the led blink example. It worked but not properly. Step motor works at constant speed. I can change direction, start and stop it but no change on speed?? And still I hear kind of small jumps.

MultiThreadEx_2.ino

Quote Originally Posted by Teensying View Post
    Dear WMXZ,

I tried to apply the led blink example. It worked but not properly. Step motor works at constant speed. I can change direction, start and stop it but no change on speed?? And still I hear kind of small jumps.

MultiThreadEx_2.ino
    You still have 1 second of delay. What do you expect!!

Quote Originally Posted by BriComp View Post
    You still have 1 second of delay. What do you expect!!

I didn' t get your point? One of the tasks can take longer than 1 sec or in periods of 1 sec and the other one is expected to run "runspeed" method all the time and seperately.

If you don't show your code, then we are unlikely to be able to help you. The code in MultiThread_2.ino does NOT use milis() as was suggested in a previous reply in order to try to help you.

Attached is a similar short version of the main code.

Task1 takes 650 msec so I divdied it to led on/off states. I measured this time using milis() func on real code. Since task1 takes 650 msec "runspeed" method is interrupted here which results in the motor behave like jumping.

In brief, I want to control a motor and perform another task(s) independently. millis() method looks very useful for many tasks but in here since "runspeed()" must be driven in every cycle of the main loop, long(relatively) mid tasks make the motor start and stop.

I also searched for other motor driver libs. but it takes the current task to another level and dont want to do that now.

Anyother suggestion is also very welcome.

Thank you.

MTN_2.ino
    Last edited by Teensying; 09-14-2021 at 08:52 AM.