Commodore Amiga 500 disk controller

j1505

Here's is a disk controller i wrote for the Teensy 4.1, it can only read floppy disks for now, but writing floopy disks may be implemented later when all the small bugs are squashed.
This program is a stand-alone program that converts an Amiga DOS formatted floppy disks(using the old style pc floppy drives) to the ADF format, saves it directly to an SD card, which can then be read by most Amiga emulators.
I only created this program to read floppy disk that contained all my old Tracker tunes created with MED, this program can not read original disk with custom copy protection.
There is also a debug console(adf-client.exe alpha 0.1) for changing a few internal settings that i used for testing this program,which can can be used at your own risk!!

Attachments

• adf_creator.ino
    27.1 KB · Views: 66
  • circuit layout.jpg
    circuit layout.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 95
Here's is a disk controller i wrote for the Teensy 4.1, it can only read floppy disks for now, but writing floopy disks may be implemented later when all the small bugs are squashed.
This program is a stand-alone program that converts an Amiga DOS formatted floppy disks(using the old style pc floppy drives) to the ADF format, saves it directly to an SD card, which can then be read by most Amiga emulators.
I only created this program to read floppy disk that contained all my old Tracker tunes created with MED, this program can not read original disk with custom copy protection.
There is also a debug console(adf-client.exe alpha 0.1) for changing a few internal settings that i used for testing this program,which can can be used at your own risk!!

Kinda curious about the electrical interface. T4.1 3.3V tolerant and most floppy devices I know of are only 5.0V?

Yes, you are correct sir!!
I just checked the online specs and the Teensy4.1 is indeed 3.5 voltage tolerant.The strange thing is, my project worked and I managed to dump all my floppy disks, but I don't know if this has caused any long term damage to my MCU.
My electronics skills suck!!..so i guess i would need help from anyone in re-designing this circuit and making it more safe to anyone who wishes to use this.

Yes, you are correct sir!!
I just checked the online specs and the Teensy4.1 is indeed 3.5 voltage tolerant.The strange thing is, my project worked and I managed to dump all my floppy disks, but I don't know if this has caused any long term damage to my MCU.
My electronics skills suck!!..so i guess i would need help from anyone in re-designing this circuit and making it more safe to anyone who wishes to use this.

Search the forum and the Internet for level shifters. Adafruit has these. There are a lot of devices available you can use as well. You will find examples of circuits that show how to do this on the forum . Surprised that your T4.1 survived:) Wish I still had my AMIGA 500...

Does Pin 1 (PIN_Button_Start) work reliably? It seems to me that you need a pulldown resistor on pin 1 to hold the pin LOW until the button is pushed.
The easy fix is to change the pinMode from INPUT to INPUT_PULLDOWN.

Pete
P.S. Wish I had my Amiga 500 and 3000 still :)

Does Pin 1 (PIN_Button_Start) work reliably? It seems to me that you need a pulldown resistor on pin 1 to hold the pin LOW until the button is pushed.

Pete

Me too, The 3000 was a dream I never had:)

Pete

Pin 1 works fine, it starts the whole ripping process in the default 'Auto Mode'. My electronic skills are 'zero', I'm hoping that someone more skilled in this area could help me iron out some of the issues(reducing the input voltage from 5v to 3v).

Back