Making a. Raw audio file by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaQue

Would the proper way to make an audio board compatible mono raw audio file (sine wave) be to just write a u16_t’s with the proper phase adjustment per 1/44,100 seconds? If I wanted the amplitude to read -6dm in Audicaty would the peak to peak be 2^8 or does the Audicaty add some “head room”? I want to compare what I send to a device vs what I get back level wise and adjust it's internal gain so they match.

Audacity has 0dB as full scale, no headroom.

WAV samples are signed unless 8 bit, IIRC. For 16 bit that's +/-16384 for -6dB.

I just use wav files and chop the header off if needed raw.

I want to compare what I send to a device vs what I get back level wise

Soundcards don't usually have calibrated inputs or outputs, and generally they will be different levels, so you'll need to
calibrate with a loopback connection. The same applies to any audio codec chip like the SGTL5000.

Audacity has 0dB as full scale, no headroom.

WAV samples are signed unless 8 bit, IIRC. For 16 bit that's +/-16384 for -6dB.

I just use wav files and chop the header off if needed raw.

Soundcards don't usually have calibrated inputs or outputs, and generally they will be different levels, so you'll need to
calibrate with a loopback connection. The same applies to any audio codec chip like the SGTL5000.

Thanks for the help! It's not a sound card.... they are 20 year old pagers for fire departmens that need the channel announcements restored after they got scrambled.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back