Tensy 3.6 driving GlobalSat USB GPS puck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I'm finishing up a project called the Scope Clock, which displays time on an oscilloscope CRT with a Teensy 3.6 as the controller. The last thing to add is GPS, since many customers want it.
I have looked at the GPS pucks are sold these days. It seems that the GlobalSat BU-353-S4 is the one that's commonly available.
Has anyone here had experience using this GPS puck or another one with the Teensy via the second USB host port? My forum search hasn't returned any hits for this subject.
Here's a photo of the product...

SCTVA.jpg

Awesome device, congratulations. The teensy 3.6 has an accessory to which USB devices can be connected:

https://www.pjrc.com/store/cable_usb_host_t36.html

You will have to look at the examples to make the GPS-USB that you indicate work.

Perhaps you could replace the USB GPS with this equivalent, the pinout is more comfortable to process signals with the TinyGPSplus library, 100% compatible with the teensy 3.6: GlobalSat BR-355-S4 GPS Receiver

https://www.globalsat.com.tw/ftp/download/GMouse_Win_UsersGuide-V1.0.pdf

BR_3355S4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. I can see that the hardware interface for either is about the same amount of work (2 pins), but the serial NMEA software interface is much easier to get working quickly than writing a USB stack for this device, especially since I don't have any experience with the Teensy USB host code.
I think I'll provide both connector footprints on my first batch of boards, and see if anyone is interested in making USB work. I like the idea of being able to plug in other USB things, like a gamepad for the Tetris game that I'm porting to the clock.

I am pleased to report that the USB GPS system Just Works.

I received the GlobalSat BU-353S4 GPS puck and connected it to the Teensy 3.6 via a USB type A connector soldered to the board.
Then I loaded the example sketch USBHost_t36 -> Serial. Then I changed the baud rate define to 4800 from 115200.
I compiled the sketch and opened Serial Monitor, plugged in the USB puck to my new USB port, and lo and behold, I started receiving GPRMC messages!

I really like the Teensy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back